Question Razer Core X Video Card for 1080p, 144hz

Feb 11, 2019
I have a 2019 edition Razer Blade Stealth with the Intel 8565 Whiskey Lake (Quad Core at 1.8) and 16GB RAM. I have decided to boost the graphics performance by utilizing a Razer Core X (also considering Razer Core V2). The new RTX Series of cards look very appealing but I don't know if they are overkill for what I am aiming to do. I am admittedly, not the biggest gamer at the moment as I haven't played much for many years but wouldn't mind getting back into it within the reasonable limits of the new laptop. I would like to "future-proof" the purchase as much as reasonable.

That being said, I just bought a new ASUS 1080p gaming monitor (MG248QR, 144hz, 1ms) and don't feel a burning need to go up to 1440 or 4k for at least a few years. I would just like most any game I buy (that the laptop can otherwise run) to run at highest settings and highest possible framerates and keep up with this monitor.

I have it narrowed it down to a few cards with a wide price variation:

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 590
RTX 2070
RTX 2080
Vega 64
Radeon VII

Of these options, which is the best choice for what I am trying to achieve? If none of them, what is a better option? I had looked at the 1080 and 1080ti but now that they are no longer made, the prices seem to have soared on them, making it silly to go that route when there is newer technology. Let's assume that price is not the most significant factor, although I would prefer not to delve into 2080ti prices as that seems like overkill for sure.

What say you?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019
For high/ultra settings @ 1080p and 144+ FPS, look towards GTX 1070, RTX 2060 or GTX 1070 Ti,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369,415,436&sort=price&page=1

GPUs you listed can do 144 FPS @ 1440p (2K) and even 120 FPS or so @ 4K, except the RX 590, which is even worse than GTX 1070. RX 590 is good when you're looking for 60 FPS @ 1080p.

Thank you for the reply. My only concern outstanding is that a lot of folks seems to be having failing RTX 2070 and 2080 cards. Since my ASUS monitor has FreeSync, I'm halfway tempted to try to RX 590 since it is cheap and wait and see what happens over the next year or so. Reasonable or silly?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In my opinion, RTX GPUs are waste of money. GTX GPUs are more than enough for any gaming needs. Also, there are 0 games out there that would even support that ray-tracing feature by which the RTX GPUs are preached about.

As far as Radeon vs Nvidia goes, that much is true that Freesync monitors are cheaper than G-Sync monitors since Nvidia has royalties on the G-Sync tech, while AMD has not. On the flip side, Nvidia GPU drivers are more compatible with most games than Radeon GPU drivers.

Here, i'd pick better GPU driver support over Freesync since there are other screen tearing techs out there besides Freesync. E.g almost all games have V-Sync.