[SOLVED] Razer Cynosa v2 "device descriptor failed"

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
Hi, I've had my keyboard since December now and its been great, no problems until yesterday. Its a Razer Cynosa v2. I turned on my pc and noticed it wasnt typing or working at all. I have another keyboard so I was able to do some debugging, in device manager it says "Device Descriptor Request Failed" and windows cannot recognise the device. It's obviously a driver issue as there have been messages regarding it "could not find any drivers" so I tried updating windows and rolling back updates, and I cant seem to find any drivers online or synapse. There will be sometimes where the keyboard works after restart but only for 10 mins or so. Just looking for options here.

Solution
does it use Synapse for the drivers?
Does Synapse see it?

Do I need software drivers to use the Razer Cynosa Chroma?
You may use the standard keyboard functions by simply plugging the Razer Cynosa Chroma to any available USB port on your computer. However, you will need to download the software and drivers in order to enable advanced features such as macro recording and profile settings.
Razer support link

looks like there is a firmware update - link

Colif

Win 11 Master
does keyboard work in other devices?
does keyboard work in bios?
does it work in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
does keyboard work in other devices?
does keyboard work in bios?
does it work in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode
Doesn't work in BIOS but power is supplied (backlighting works).
Doesn't work in safe mode.
Haven't been able to check other computers but will this afternoon.

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
Okay, so I've plugged it into my laptop, seems to be working fine at the moment. It isnt displayed as a "razer keyboard" in device manager but as a standard PS/2 Keyboard so I cant tell if its running the same way as it would on my PC. It also sometimes takes some time for it to stop working so I'll let it run for a while but so far, no problems.
I wonder if razer will answer your question.

it appears to be a common problem with the keyboard, you might want to arrange an rma if 2nd PC also can't see it.
I also sent in a support request with razer so hopefully they can provide some insight. If it is a driver problem, would it be possible to transfer the seemingly working one from my laptop to my PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it use Synapse for the drivers?
Does Synapse see it?

Do I need software drivers to use the Razer Cynosa Chroma?
You may use the standard keyboard functions by simply plugging the Razer Cynosa Chroma to any available USB port on your computer. However, you will need to download the software and drivers in order to enable advanced features such as macro recording and profile settings.
Razer support link

looks like there is a firmware update - link

Solution