Razer Finally Makes Something for Lefties

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehTyrant

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I think most lefties like myself, just learned to do most everything else, right handed by now, except for writing and holding food utensils =D... /shrug

I am one of those lefties that throws left and bats right handed as well X_X

But hey, it's about time, Razer!

4745454b

Titan
Agreed tehTyrant. When I first started using a computer my mother warned me that if I learned to use the mouse left handed, I'd be forever having to move it to the other side, reversing buttons, etc. I decided I would just use it right handed. A good choice seeing as at the time we were using the arrow buttons to move, but would have been heck when we went to WASD. For those that never bothered to learn how to use the mouse right handed I can see them liking this. Not sure there are enough of them out there though to make this worth while.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]tehTyrant[/nom]I think most lefties like myself, just learned to do most everything else, right handed by now, except for writing and holding food utensils =D... /shrugI am one of those lefties that throws left and bats right handed as well X_XBut hey, it's about time, Razer![/citation]

100% truth. I'm a left-hander myself and I've done most stuff right-handed. Besides writing and throwing left-handed pretty much. 20 years too late Razer =(.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]tehTyrant[/nom]I think most lefties like myself, just learned to do most everything else, right handed by now, except for writing and holding food utensils =D... /shrugI am one of those lefties that throws left and bats right handed as well X_XBut hey, it's about time, Razer![/citation]
Strangely enough, I do bat right handed as well, and also while playing soccer kick with my right foot. But I throw and write left handed.

and I'm happy to see they finally made a left handed mouse, but I think 90% of lefties have just learned to use the mouse with their right hand.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Yeah,Im a lefty also and I use my right hand for my mouse......it feels natural,ive never even wanted to use my left hand to control my mouse,I have a friend who is also a lefty and when i try to use his mouse ,which is set up for a lefty it just feels weird......

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]teaser[/nom]Yeah,Im a lefty also and I use my right hand for my mouse......it feels natural,ive never even wanted to use my left hand to control my mouse,I have a friend who is also a lefty and when i try to use his mouse ,which is set up for a lefty it just feels weird......[/citation]
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]A left handed mouse is cool in all but how many gaming keyboards are there that are left handed?[/citation]

That's because most keyboards's layout is based on the assumption that the mouse will be on the right, not the left. Because of that it would be uncomfortable to type in a right handed keyboard using a left handed mouse.

xterrain15

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I'm a righty, but I use my left hand for the mouse. I actually prefer it in almost all ways. I feel that with wasd, the right hand accesses more keys.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Ha, I'm right handed and use the mouse with my left, my father is left handed so I've become accustomed to it. For a few years I contorted my hand for a G5, now I use a copperhead, damn fine ambidextrous mouse, but I will be picking up one of these lefties... anxious to see how it feels.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
This is not the FIRST razer mouse for lefties, sorry, but Diamondback G3 it's also for both left/right hands. It has 2 buttons on both sides, of course you can set them as you like best.

lsirui

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I am lefty and ambidextrous. Now I have G9 on the right and Diamondback on the left (reversed button) and when one hand gets tired, I switch to the other instantly and efficiently.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Go, go lefties! I'm another lefty that has always used mice right handed. I tried a left handed mouse and hated it.

My fine motor skills come from the left (writing, eating, shooting, etc), and my power comes from the right (throwing, swinging, punching, etc).

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]So will lefties re-map all of their keys? W-A-S-D --> I-J-K-L?[/citation]

Already do. I've been using Razer mice since the very beginning, with the Razer Boomslang. Thankfully most of their mice are ambidextrous, but I am happy to see them building an ergo model specifically for lefties. I will stick with my ambidextrous Lachesis.

And yes, I move with I,J,K and L. It does require me to re-map keys for just about every game, but the benefits are vast. With W,A,S,D, the only keys you have to the left of those keys (and thus easily accessed by your pinky or ring finger) are Tab, Caps Lock and Shift. With I,J,K,L, I have gobs of keys to both the right and the left of my movement keys for me to choose from. Some of my most used keys are all the punctuation keys (7 of them on my keyboard), right-shift, and return to the right of I,J,K,L, all of which can be reached with my pinky while not lifting the rest of my fingers from my movement keys.

Frankly even if I did play right-handed, I would still re-map closer to the center of the keyboard in order to have more available keys for my pinky finger. It makes a big difference.

Another benefit of mousing left-handed is that since the number pad is on the right side of a full-size keyboard, you can have both your letter keys and your mouse closer to the center of the desk. Think about it. Right-handed, if you center your letters on your desk, the number pad pushes your mouse way out to the right, or you end up shifting your keyboard off to the left. So unnatural.

G

They'd rather focus on ergonomic AND symmetrical. Not that i dislike lefty version (since I'm also one) but the idea to develop lefty's only versions it as useless as developing right handed versions. Useless meaning that there more con's then pro's.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
At EffingLast.
I do hope Logitech takes notice. I've been posting questions about left-handed products on their forums and have been steadfastly ignored.
Kudos to Razer. I hope this product is a hit.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I guess I'm the odd one out here. I'm actually right-handed but I always use my mouse with my left hand. I bought an Atari ST as a kid when mice were still a pretty new idea in home computers and it seemed like the most natural thing to do was use the mouse in my left hand so that I could use the keyboard with my more dextrous right hand at the same time, Now, 25 years later, the habit is so ingrained in me that I can't do it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.