Question RAZER Keyboards - Blackwidow vs Hunstman

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Well, my Logitech K800 wireless is starting to get a bit flakey... though it always was flakey for games. If you had a lot happening on the screen (happened a lot with DOOM) the wireless kicked in/out. Logitech never fixed it, and the USB cable was for recharge only.

Looking this time to get a basic gaming keyboard, and since I have a Death Adder Elite I'd like to grab a Razer keyboard and get the LED lights all going.

Getting a bit lost on all the versions and models of the 2 lineups... BlackWidow and Hunstman... v2, v3, Elite, full size small, etc...

Hoping someone can help with well, 2 things...

I have big hands and don't game a lot, but I do want a full sized keyboard, and I would like a few media buttons (mainly volume up/down and mute). I don't need to use the pass through USB/Audio but if it's there, whatever. I would like something that doesn't have a 1/2" thick cable.... my Razer mouse has a nice, thin, cloth covered USB cable, which is great... I think a big fat stiff cable would just make moving the keyboard around a bit harder. I do other stuff on my desk so pushing the keyboard back happens often.

I kinda like the the green buttons, the click noise I miss from the the old keyboards... though after a few months, might get annoying?

Some reviews I read about the purple ones, didn't sound good... doesn't always register being clicked, or getting double typing and only registers on being pressed not released causing issues in some games.

Do they still make the Black Window Elite? or is it the V3 Pro now?

Looking to buy today, hoping to get a few answers... boxing day deals go quick and sadly my Logitech just started to get flakey without a lot of research time. :D

DSzymborski

Titan
I've never been a fan of Razer build quality. Have you considered other brands? If you have switch dissatisfaction, have you considered getting a keyboard with hotswap switches? The EVGA Z15 can be bought a lot of places very cheaply and has hotswappable switches and media keys.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I've never been a fan of Razer build quality. Have you considered other brands? If you have switch dissatisfaction, have you considered getting a keyboard with hotswap switches? The EVGA Z15 can be bought a lot of places very cheaply and has hotswappable switches and media keys.
Hotswappable switches? like physically pop the switches out and replace? I have no desire to do that... I just wanna have a decent keyboard with as little fuss as possible.

Razer wise, aluminum chasis sounded good, and since I already have the software installed for the mouse it would be nice to use the same app and sync the two devices together which is why I was looking at the Razer again.

I think the BlackWidow Elite is replaced with V3 Pro which has wireless options, that I really don't want... I know, you can just not use them, but it's still in the price tag.

BW v3 has a roller bar on it like that EVGA for volume and probably all I need. Not a nice cloth cable though, looks like plastic... not a deal breaker just, annoying Razer doesn't just use it on all products.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Sadly not much response... was iffy about the Hunstman switches being too sensitive and such for regular typing so went for the Razer Blackwidow V3. Likely the armpad will be removed anyways because my keyboard is often 3" from the table edge. Single USB cable, not a fat cable with 2-3 ends. Scroll wheel is clickable so vol up/down/mute and the extra media button will be a calcultor button like my K800 had. Opted green switches not yellow... lots of good reviews for yellow but WAY more people saying they like the green and have so for years.

Jan 5th... delivery date... we'll see how it goes.