Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma no longer works on Windows 10 Pro

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, my son has this particular headset, sent as a gift by my brother. It's a wired USB unit, and it's over a year old, possibly two years

It was absolutely trouble-free on my son's previous PC, and even on his current one (Dell XPS 8910, purchased less than a year ago) up to last Saturday (March 17).

It worked fine that day, my son shut down the computer, then later in the day, turned the PC back on. From that point onward, it no longer worked, although the emblems on the headset still light up.

Device Manager indicates an error - and if I go to Properties, the General tab shows:
-----
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR.
-----

I tried checking through Device Manager to see if there was an updated driver (thiere isn't), deleting, rebooting and letting it reinstall the driver, to no avail. As a last resort, I did a total wipe and reinstall of my son's system.

Still no luck.

Becoming suspicious, I plugged it into my PC, also Windows 10 Pro, something I probably should have tried before the wipe/reinstall. My machine shows the same error, but likewise also has the emblems on the headset lighting up.

Would this indicate that the hardware [strike]is defective[/strike] has failed, or that a recent OS update may be at issue?

Searching online has not yielded anything particularly enlightening. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bit of an update on this.

The headset is NOT dead. I have a PC that is dual-boot Windows 10 Home and Linux. I haven't booted into Windows on it in months. I got into Linux, just on a hunch (well, suggested by a colleague at work).

The headset works in Linux, both mic and speakers.

Booted this same machine back into Windows 10, which hasn't had updates applied in a while. Now, it may have applied something when I was booting, but I don't think it did. No luck. Same errors with Windows as happened on the two Win10 Pro machines.

States that the driver, USB Audio Device, is dated 9/28/2017, version 10.0.16299.15. This is the same as what's on the two fully updated Windows 10 Pro machines.

Now I'm definitely baffled. The hardware clearly works, as demonstrated by Linux, but, what gives with Windows? I'm usually loathe to jump to blaming the OS, but this time...

TRENDING THREADS