Razer Launches Tartarus Gaming Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I just want a low profile macro keypad... is that so hard to ask? I don't enjoy these extra grips. Just low profile, macro keypad. 5x4.

naihan

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Don't underestimate the power of these things in RPGs ladies and gents. They're deplorable for anything where the main actions are done on your mouse (FPS, Skyrim, ETC), but for games like WoW, Guild Wars 2, and Dragon Age, it's IMPOSSIBLE to go back after you've used it for a while. It feels so natural.

naihan wrote:
Don't underestimate the power of these things in RPGs ladies and gents. They're deplorable for anything where the main actions are done on your mouse (FPS, Skyrim, ETC), but for games like WoW, Guild Wars 2, and Dragon Age, it's IMPOSSIBLE to go back after you've used it for a while. It feels so natural.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with them for any of those games. It just takes the place of the keyboard. The thumb stick takes the place the WASD keys. The only types of games I don't use this type of keypad (using the G13 atm, have used the Nostromo in the past) is strategy games.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
A Membrane Keypad is not worth $79.99 regardless of how many flashy lights you add to it. On top of this since Nostromo has become a Razer Product, the build quality has fallen to being trash. I fear what kind out atrocities Razer can pull off with their own iteration of it.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know about you but I need a lot more than 15 keys for a modern day fps. It's a cool ass idea, but I'm way too attached to the traditional mouse and keyboard setup.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know about you but I need a lot more than 15 keys for a modern day fps. It's a cool ass idea, but I'm way too attached to the traditional mouse and keyboard setup.

They do have shift states, so you can push a single button that changes the hotkeys for everything. You just put the less twitching items on another shift state, and have the primary setup as the twitch stuff. You can also make it so different shift states are setup for different combat scenarios or how ever you want.

StrangeDaze

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I love Razer, but I'll stick with my Wolfking Warrior keypad instead. Unfortunately, Woflking went out of business years ago, but I managed to stock up before they went belly up. A programmable version would be nice, but it still works better than anything I've seen (for me at least).

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I have a nostromo... its collecting dust because its very uncomfortable to use and while it sounds like a cool idea its crap. This by extension is also crap dont buy it.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I really like the idea of having a seperate keypad for playing MMO's however I've tried both the Nostromo and Logitech's solution. They were both extremely uncomfortable and the keys on the keypad were stiff and fingers became fatigued quickly... It'll be interesting to see what comes of this new solution...

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I still have my Belkin N52te of which this is a far successor and I have to say its macro keys are quite useful even if razer really makes shitty macro software that didn't even work with mouse inputs let alone worked more complex scripts

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
@#$%*x2342544! Another left hand only (for right hand mouse user) gaming keypad!! Everyday I (a left handed mouse user) am praying that my Zboard Fang don't break because NO ONE made gaming keypad for left hand mouse users!!! I play almost all kind of games (except racing) using the Zboard Fang because it is kind of hard to reprogram all the keys to the "numeric pad" side of the keyboards...

If you don't use the thumb stick, you could use the Logitech G13. Except for the Joystick, it isn't designed to favor either hand.

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

I kinda like the idea of using a stick instead of WASD for movement, though IDK how well that would work for strafe jumping in Quake Live.

I did get a Cyber Snipa Game Pad V2 years ago before I switched to a mechanical keyboard, much cheaper and works really well for FPS. Sometimes you have to push the buttons a bit harder than you naturally would, but works great for strafe jumping because buttons don't travel nearly as far as keys. It's very similar to the gamepad on the Steel Series Merc, not sure how it compares.

I'm not exactly a FPS expert, but if you make the right and left directions as strafe, and just not bother with the turning keys on the joystick, I imagine you can strafe just just fine. Your mouse is for turning, so you may not care about the turning ability of the joystick.

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The Nostromo was like $40 before razor bought them, why would I pay $80 for garbage? The build quality went to shit when they took over. I have had my Nostromo for 7 years using it almost every day and other than a key sticking occasionally works flawlessly. I also don't like the fact that they got rid of the easy to see 4 way button on the side and replaced it with the thumb switch, it was much easier to feel the button I was pressing after I took the hat off mine.

going toofar

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I think it is really disappointing that they are not supporting left handed gamers. Why should we have to adapt to right handed controls. i feel like the arrow keys are placed on the right side of the keyboard for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.