Review Razer Nommo V2 Pro Speaker Review: Single-Player Battlestation Boom

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Mainly boom? Very directional, so the "full range" is only audible in a very limited sweet spot? $450? Why am I getting a game-audiophile vibe here? It's possible to get pretty good sound for a LOT less money and with more flexible performance. Maybe not in quite as small a size, but not far off.

My desktop (used for some gaming but mostly ordinary stuff and audio work) has a monitor setup consisting of a couple of Altec 85s (from Goodwill; 1990s smallish sealed-box bookshelf speakers, 6" woofer & 1" tweeter) and a small Class D amp (used a Topping for many years until it died; recently got a cheap (<$50) Fosi at Amazon that seems to be working well). The speakers are reasonably efficient and don't need a lot of power at close range in a small room. Sounds good. The Realtek suite that came with the motherboard includes a rudimentary equalizer for tweaking the sound a little, but most of the time leaving it "flat" works well for my ears (I might push VLC's equalizer's 60hz slider up just a hair, less than 1db). I don't need to measure my sound on the Richter scale. True, if I played more big-organ music or certain movies/games I might like to add a sub for that last bottom octave (the Altecs have pretty good output down to 45-50hz). Otherwise ... not counting the defunct Topping amp, investment in the system including some cables is <<$100. If I wanted to use USB or Bluetooth, versions of the amp I'm using with BT can be had for about $10 more than I paid.