Razer's Project Ariana Projector, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
The technology is cool, mapping the room and warping the projected image to create an immersive scene is impressive, but isn't there a massive performance hit in rendering this much larger view? Most gamers want their video card to maximize detail and frame rate on the screen in front of them. I'd think adoption of this would be low if they were giving them away. How much do they expect to sell them for?

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Overkill. I'd rather have those LED lights behind a monitor which can do the same thing. This projector would also require some distance to the wall which rarely of us have.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
That is why we don't need 4K displays. I bet no one can find if a pixel es on or off in the image with movement in a game and such a distance. 1080p is more than enough.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

For such an old product, it is interesting to see it do a far better job than Project Ariana.
I would like something like that for use with a cheap $100 projector for simply displaying basic stats on the wall around the display.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
This is the same sort of warp mapping projection technology I was planning to introduce on my game system design from last decade. It looks like they are missing a lot, and haven't done it anywhere near as well.

Where is the soevs fur resolution, lumen, color space, the important thing. When you ate dealing with such projection it pays to get as close to 200% color as possible to compensate, and enliven things. A rec2020 100% color soave, maybe by quantum dit light source, is a good start.

For resolution, whatever desired resolution on a good feild of view is sy least 3x more over 180 degrees. So, that is at least fullhd x3, or 6k, 4k will be a bit grsiny. But 4kx3 will give a smoother picture to those with good eyesight, and 8kx3 the limit of this type of human vision.

If one can see well enough, and uses the center fraction of the eye they can see a 8k pixel. The rest of us just see less. The human eye works by glivking around a scene taking shd samples svene, snd you actually derive pleasure for the contrasty textures sampled this way, wherever the realise what is giving you the pleasure or not, or even notice it. It is the same with many so-called intangible elements of vision. In the film industry you can see things are set at just a certain way to increase audience enjoyment. In action games it is a different set though, as people are not being relaxed so much, and is more participatory hdr. So, with the right brightness a 8k pixel will stick out during sampling.

Wayne Morellini

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Mmmm, not so convinced from the pics, video. I will need to use it to see if I like it. The idea seems ok, but I don't game on a large TV now since I don't like having to keep moving my head to see what is going on. I understand that the main action will remain on the monitor, so I am not sure how or why the expansion - blasted onto an uneven, painted, etc. wall will be a benefit to me? Dunno. Want to see it in person before I say ya or nay.

Is this sarcasm?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
it doesn’t seem to provide any benefits to the actual gaming experience.
How is wider peripheral vision not benefit? Not for all games, but certainly first-person shooters.

Being so blurry, it's certainly rendered at a lower resolution than the primary display.

However, what's not discussed is game support. I'd expect game engines would have to explicitly support it. That's not to say it'd be hard to do, but it could limit adoption.

The potential down-side is nausea, BTW.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
It is just not pragmatic unless you're in a dorm room and assuming you have the optimal "throw distance" . Get a 60 inch plasma (if you can still find one) at a cheap cost and use that instead. For people that have real winters, you can use the TV as your heater too. 8P
The idea is neat, but in competition with cheaper displays, and Virtual Reality head sets it won't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.