[SOLVED] RBG/ARGB Difficulty

Nov 16, 2019
In the process of a new build am having some lighting/sync difficulty. I have a coolermaster H500 case and trying to run my lighting through the coolermaster ML240 controller, which works find with my ARGB items however, Having trouble going from the RGB fans on the case into the ARGB controller, I can't set detect/setup the fans on Coolermaster+

Solution
Sounds like you found the right solution. To help claify, there are two incompatible RGB systems widely used now. The plain RGB system uses a 4-pin connector and a 12 VDC power supply line in it. The Addressable RGB (ADDR RGB or ARGB) system uses a 3-pin connector that looks a lot the 4-pin one with one pin missing, and a 5 VDC power supply on one of its lines. The voltage AND the control methods of these two are quite different and you cannot mix the two types in one circuit. IF you have lighting devices of both types, you MUST connect plain RGB devices only to plain RGB controllers, and ADDR RGB devices only to ADDR RGB controllers. That appears to be what you have done to solve your problem.

By the way, the info provided...
Nov 16, 2019
Are they 3 or 4 pin RGB fans, RGB fans only have 1 colour but ARGB can have multiple ones

Thanks for replying, I did figure it out though. I was thinking I should run all of my coolermaster components through the coolermaster controller, but everything worked as intended when I just ran the 4pin RBB case fans to the 4pin RGB header on my motherboard.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sounds like you found the right solution. To help claify, there are two incompatible RGB systems widely used now. The plain RGB system uses a 4-pin connector and a 12 VDC power supply line in it. The Addressable RGB (ADDR RGB or ARGB) system uses a 3-pin connector that looks a lot the 4-pin one with one pin missing, and a 5 VDC power supply on one of its lines. The voltage AND the control methods of these two are quite different and you cannot mix the two types in one circuit. IF you have lighting devices of both types, you MUST connect plain RGB devices only to plain RGB controllers, and ADDR RGB devices only to ADDR RGB controllers. That appears to be what you have done to solve your problem.

By the way, the info provided inllustrates how easily these things can get mixed up. You say your controller for the ML240 system does a good job with your ADDR RGB lights. But the ML240L RGB system controller is a PLAIN RGB (4-pin) controller. However, Cooler Master also supplies several ADDR RGB controllers with VERY similar names like ML240P Mirage, and ML240R RGB, etc.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS