[SOLVED] Rcommedations for an older CPU with integrated graphics for 4k Movies ?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Heading back to basics with a potential build.

Can anyone recommend an older 2017-2018 (or a new cheaper one!) CPU that has integrated graphics?

I want to use it in a HTPC, which currently has a 10+ year old graphics card in it, and an equivelent aged CPU, which currently can't handle the huge 4k files. Any newer processor will outdo the graphics card performance, and although it's silent, due to the software I use I think I need to use integrated to handle the playing of 4k movies. Plus means less components.

Happy to buy 1st hand, 2nd hand, whatever is around really.

Solution
The earliest you can go for sure is either a 7th gen Intel processor or a Zen based APU.

This is based on both of them supports PlayReady DRM for 4K playback. I do recall being able to play 4K videos off a 6th gen's iGPU, but I think it was struggling a little.
The earliest you can go for sure is either a 7th gen Intel processor or a Zen based APU.

This is based on both of them supports PlayReady DRM for 4K playback. I do recall being able to play 4K videos off a 6th gen's iGPU, but I think it was struggling a little.

Solution