Question RDC keeps freezing periodically?

Jan 14, 2022
Hello,

I am a developer for a FiveM & Minecraft community and as a result it means I'm regularly working on a VPS. Ever since I've started doing development work for this community we have had 2 separate VPS's and I've had the same problem with both
where essentially the RDC will just freeze on me. It doesn't become unresponsive or anything, the actual portion of the screen that shows the VPS just straight up freezes.
I was advised by people to use Group Policy Editor (I believe?) to disable TCP or something.. This hasn't fixed the issue and it persists the same as before.
I do have slow internet due to living in the Welsh Countryside which is a given, but I've never had this problem on any other computer I've had. Any advice/help would be very much appreciated!

Note: My internet caps at roughly 2.4Mb/s and I'm connected via ethernet to the router. This isn't a bandwidth issue because it's only my PC and phone connected to the router.
EDIT: The actual quality of the connection to the VPS is always 4-5 bars, doesn't drop below that
EDIT 2:

There are no warnings or informational events of interest. When I say that the VPS is freezing what I mean is that it freezes on my end suddenly forcing me to restart Remote Desktop Connection in order to continue working on it.

VPS specs:
10 Core Intel CPU
16GB RAM
200GB HDD Space
1000 Mbit Upload and Download
Hosting Company: zap-hosting.com

My Internet provider is Sky and I pay for the best service I can get for where I live which is:
20 Mbit Download
5 Mbit Upload (LOL)
No data cap etc

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
VPS being Virtual Private Server? Who manages that server? Have you been able to contact that person./organization? If so, then what do they say?

RDC being Remote Desktop Connection?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information for your development PC.

Then look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede or correspond with the freezes that you are experiencing.

As for 4-5 bars that may be more reflective of power/quantity vs quality.

And a cap does not limit the number of devices. It only limits the amount/speed of data transfers.

Who is your ISP and what level of service are you paying for?

Jan 14, 2022
VPS being Virtual Private Server? Who manages that server? Have you been able to contact that person./organization? If so, then what do they say?

RDC being Remote Desktop Connection?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information for your development PC.

Then look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede or correspond with the freezes that you are experiencing.

As for 4-5 bars that may be more reflective of power/quantity vs quality.

And a cap does not limit the number of devices. It only limits the amount/speed of data transfers.

Who is your ISP and what level of service are you paying for?

Sorry I should have added all of this information in the initial post. It's a VPS we pay for from ZAP hosting. We did have the previous one from OVH and it was doing the exact same thing.
I will update the rest of the post with relevant information you have requested :)

Last edited: