RDC using 56k modem

jordanchan

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
dear all,

I have a desktop running MS Server 2008 R2, with a 56k modem connected to a normal phoneline.

I have a laptop with 56k dial-up modem, and I want to use the modem to connect to my desktop. After which will use RDC to administer this desktop.

Is the 56kbps connection adequate? I am not doing any major downloads or online meeting, just some maintenance works.

I know this sounds kinda moving backwards, this desktop is connected to an ADSL broadband line.

My purpose of setting up is to create a backup connection to this deskop in the event when broadband connection is down and not available. This connection will provide an emergency connection to this desktop.

Has anyone done anything similar? Or using Logmein, Teamviewer, VNC or anything other than MS's RDC?

TIA for any replies.

Solution
RDP uses scalable bandwidth, meaning that bandwidth usage changes in proportion to what's being displayed on the remote host. A 56Kbps modem will be fine for basic navigation, but if you start to open multiple windows, you may run into performance issues.

I assume that the desktop is corrected routed, firewalled and has a NAT policy on its local network? Simply connecting a modem isn't enough.
RDP uses scalable bandwidth, meaning that bandwidth usage changes in proportion to what's being displayed on the remote host. A 56Kbps modem will be fine for basic navigation, but if you start to open multiple windows, you may run into performance issues.

I assume that the desktop is corrected routed, firewalled and has a NAT policy on its local network? Simply connecting a modem isn't enough.

Solution

jordanchan

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

Thanks for the prompt answer, that's what I need to hear before committing further, good to know a 56kbps connection could support RDP, albeit doing basic navigation.

And yes, the desktop will be properly routed. :)