RDC with W2k Pro and XP Pro

Hi All,

I have a pc running W2k Pro that I would like to connect using the RDC to
connect to another machine that is running XP Pro.

I am able to connect from the XP Pro machine but unable to connect from the
W2k Pro machine. All help will be much appreciated.

Thank You
Joe

JoeD wrote:
> I have a pc running W2k Pro that I would like to connect using the
> RDC to connect to another machine that is running XP Pro.
>
> I am able to connect from the XP Pro machine but unable to connect
> from the W2k Pro machine. All help will be much appreciated.

I am confused by your statements.. First you seem to infer there is a
Windows 2000 Professional machine you would like to use as a client to
connect to a Windows XP machine. Doable - install the RD client on the
Windows 2000 Professional machine and do it.

Then you state that you are able to connect from said Windows XP
Professional machine - to what? You've only mentioned two machines - do you
mean the Windows 2000 Professional machine? If so, then what method are you
using to remote? Some flavor of VNC? Perhaps Netmeeting? Windows 2000
Professional does not have a terminal services license.

In any case, you go on to state that you are able to connect FROM the
Windows 2000 Professional machine to the Windows XP Professional machine -
okay - yeah - we established that is possible. What do you need help with?

Windows XP Professional has a Remote Desktop service.
Windows 2000 Professional does not.

You need to install a third party application like UltraVNC in order to
remotely control Windows 2000 Professional from ANY other type of machine or
use Netmeeting.

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Shenan,

What I was trying to say is that I would to connect from the W2k machine to
the XP Pro machine, but thank You for your response that I cannot connect
from the W2k machine .

I will try Netmeeting and see if I will be successful.

Thank You Very much for your help.

Joe

JoeD wrote:
> What I was trying to say is that I would to connect from the W2k
> machine to the XP Pro machine, but thank You for your response that I
> cannot connect from the W2k machine .
>
> I will try Netmeeting and see if I will be successful.

You can connect FROM the Windows 2000 Professional machine to the Windows XP
machine.. You just have to get the client (I cannot remember if Windows 2000
has mstsc.exe or not..) from the Microsoft downloads.

What you cannot do is connect from the Windows XP Professional machine TO
the Windows 2000 Professional machine.

And if you are going to use software for remoting that is not MS Remote
Desktop - I suggest UltraVNC as your best (and free) alternative.
Netmeeting is.. kludgey in my opinion.

--
<- Shenan ->

Thank You very much Shenan I will try it out and post to this group to let
you know if I was successful.

Regards
Joe