Dear All,

Can someone tell me if this is possible.

I connect to my work desktop pc via a RDP using a vpn every now and then the
vpn tunnel collapses and I lose my connection.

I can re-connect ok but lose the session that I was working with hence I
lose unsaved word documents etc.

Is is possible to re-connect to the original session ?

I'm using xp on both local and remote.

Hardware - Netgear DG824M router, 512K ADSL
--
Cheers

Dave

That's wierd.

You ought to lose just the session connection--the session should remain
running, and all the apps open, etc.

What happens when you re-connect? Do you get an error message of any kind?

What this sounds like to me is that the host PC is rebooting when or after
the tunnel collapses. Any way to watch the thing physically to try to see
what happens?

(actually--just eyeballing the event log entries around a session might tell
you more.)

"David Lownds" <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> Can someone tell me if this is possible.
>
> I connect to my work desktop pc via a RDP using a vpn every now and then
> the
> vpn tunnel collapses and I lose my connection.
>
> I can re-connect ok but lose the session that I was working with hence I
> lose unsaved word documents etc.
>
> Is is possible to re-connect to the original session ?
>
> I'm using xp on both local and remote.
>
> Hardware - Netgear DG824M router, 512K ADSL
> --
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Hi Bill,

The host PC isn't rebooting I've checked the log events.

The re-connect window appears if I ping the host after the vpn is
re-established I get a response. However the session resets i.e. asks you to
logon again and gives you a fresh session.

This is really annoying me now and I work with many applications open the
host.

Interestingly if I RDP to a Win 2003 server the session re-connects,
therefore I'm thinking it has something to do with XP Pro ?

Any more suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Dave

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> That's wierd.
>
> You ought to lose just the session connection--the session should remain
> running, and all the apps open, etc.
>
> What happens when you re-connect? Do you get an error message of any
kind?

> What this sounds like to me is that the host PC is rebooting when or after
> the tunnel collapses. Any way to watch the thing physically to try to see
> what happens?
>
> (actually--just eyeballing the event log entries around a session might
tell
> you more.)
>

> "David Lownds" <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote in message
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Can someone tell me if this is possible.
> >
> > I connect to my work desktop pc via a RDP using a vpn every now and then
> > the
> > vpn tunnel collapses and I lose my connection.
> >
> > I can re-connect ok but lose the session that I was working with hence I
> > lose unsaved word documents etc.
> >
> > Is is possible to re-connect to the original session ?
> >
> > I'm using xp on both local and remote.
> >
> > Hardware - Netgear DG824M router, 512K ADSL
> > --
> > Cheers
> >
> > Dave

How soon do you try to reconnect? It seems that the recycle session
timeout appears to be wrong on your machine...

Try the following:

1. Start up Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc). Browse to the Computer
Configuration=>Administrative Templates=>Windows Components=>Terminal
Services.

Set the "Keep-Alive Connections" to Enabled... The interval is how
long the serve keeps the session alive (in minutes)... Change this
value to a time a bit longer than it takes for you to reconnect...

See if that helps...
:)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:34:05 -0000, "David Lownds"
<david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>The host PC isn't rebooting I've checked the log events.
>
>The re-connect window appears if I ping the host after the vpn is
>re-established I get a response. However the session resets i.e. asks you to
>logon again and gives you a fresh session.
>
>This is really annoying me now and I work with many applications open the
>host.
>
>Interestingly if I RDP to a Win 2003 server the session re-connects,
>therefore I'm thinking it has something to do with XP Pro ?
>
>Any more suggestions would be helpful.
>
>Cheers
>
>Dave
>
>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> That's wierd.
>>
>> You ought to lose just the session connection--the session should remain
>> running, and all the apps open, etc.
>>
>> What happens when you re-connect? Do you get an error message of any
>kind?
>>
>> What this sounds like to me is that the host PC is rebooting when or after
>> the tunnel collapses. Any way to watch the thing physically to try to see
>> what happens?
>>
>> (actually--just eyeballing the event log entries around a session might
>tell
>> you more.)
>>

>> "David Lownds" <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > Can someone tell me if this is possible.
>> >
>> > I connect to my work desktop pc via a RDP using a vpn every now and then
>> > the
>> > vpn tunnel collapses and I lose my connection.
>> >
>> > I can re-connect ok but lose the session that I was working with hence I
>> > lose unsaved word documents etc.
>> >
>> > Is is possible to re-connect to the original session ?
>> >
>> > I'm using xp on both local and remote.
>> >
>> > Hardware - Netgear DG824M router, 512K ADSL
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Dave

PS... Also be glad when you attempt to reconnect to a Win2K3 server,
it actually does... I had to force my server via group policy to do
this... :)
---

<david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>The host PC isn't rebooting I've checked the log events.
>
>The re-connect window appears if I ping the host after the vpn is
>re-established I get a response. However the session resets i.e. asks you to
>logon again and gives you a fresh session.
>
>This is really annoying me now and I work with many applications open the
>host.
>
>Interestingly if I RDP to a Win 2003 server the session re-connects,
>therefore I'm thinking it has something to do with XP Pro ?
>
>Any more suggestions would be helpful.
>
>Cheers
>
>Dave
>
>"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> That's wierd.
>>
>> You ought to lose just the session connection--the session should remain
>> running, and all the apps open, etc.
>>
>> What happens when you re-connect? Do you get an error message of any
>kind?
>>
>> What this sounds like to me is that the host PC is rebooting when or after
>> the tunnel collapses. Any way to watch the thing physically to try to see
>> what happens?
>>
>> (actually--just eyeballing the event log entries around a session might
>tell
>> you more.)
>>

>> "David Lownds" <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > Can someone tell me if this is possible.
>> >
>> > I connect to my work desktop pc via a RDP using a vpn every now and then
>> > the
>> > vpn tunnel collapses and I lose my connection.
>> >
>> > I can re-connect ok but lose the session that I was working with hence I
>> > lose unsaved word documents etc.
>> >
>> > Is is possible to re-connect to the original session ?
>> >
>> > I'm using xp on both local and remote.
>> >
>> > Hardware - Netgear DG824M router, 512K ADSL
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Dave

David Lownds <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote:

> The re-connect window appears if I ping the host after the vpn is
> re-established I get a response. However the session resets i.e. asks
> you to logon again and gives you a fresh session.
>
> Interestingly if I RDP to a Win 2003 server the session re-connects,
> therefore I'm thinking it has something to do with XP Pro ?

On the XP Pro RDP server, try enabling "Use Fast User Switching" in control
panel User Accounts.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help. I've made the GP amendment and will test it tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave
"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:177ar015gpshol2qali6s6hcu1o4pm0ggq@4ax.com...
> PS... Also be glad when you attempt to reconnect to a Win2K3 server,
> it actually does... I had to force my server via group policy to do
> this... :)
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/defa
ult.mspx
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:34:05 -0000, "David Lownds"
> <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Bill,
> >
> >The host PC isn't rebooting I've checked the log events.
> >
> >The re-connect window appears if I ping the host after the vpn is
> >re-established I get a response. However the session resets i.e. asks you
> >logon again and gives you a fresh session.
> >
> >This is really annoying me now and I work with many applications open the
> >host.
> >
> >Interestingly if I RDP to a Win 2003 server the session re-connects,
> >therefore I'm thinking it has something to do with XP Pro ?
> >
> >Any more suggestions would be helpful.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Dave
> >
> >"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> >> That's wierd.
> >>
> >> You ought to lose just the session connection--the session should
remain
> >> running, and all the apps open, etc.
> >>
> >> What happens when you re-connect? Do you get an error message of any
> >kind?
> >>
> >> What this sounds like to me is that the host PC is rebooting when or
after
> >> the tunnel collapses. Any way to watch the thing physically to try to
see
> >> what happens?
> >>
> >> (actually--just eyeballing the event log entries around a session might
> >tell
> >> you more.)
> >>

> >> "David Lownds" <david@dlownds.f2s.com> wrote in message

Hopefully it works... :)