Question RDR2 keeps crashing with my GPU overclock...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
...but its absolute stable in pretty much any other game.

I am running an overclock on my RTX 2080 (see spec details below in signature) for almost 2 years. This overclock is stable in uncountable numbers of hours in all games that I played over the last 2 years. No issues. Its even stable with ray tracing (I noticed that on my card the OC needs to be a bit less aggressive if the game is using the RT cores). But I experience crashes in Red Dead Redemption 2. The crashes got much less frequent with a more moderate overclock, but still happen. Crashes freeze the screen and whole computer. Can open task manager, but I am not able to close any applications. Need to restart computer with hard reset.

Any ideas what most likely causes those crashes? You think its my overclocked card or the game?

By the way...crashes happen in DX12 and VULKAN.

Thanks.

Last edited:

brewcrew650

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Your OC is too high for the card/game to operate properly together. Every game behaves differently with different overclocks. Assuming you are using Afterburner, just make a profile that runs at a much lower spec then what you normally have it cranked too. Best advice is to start at stock levels (besides fan curve) and work up from there. /shrug

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Your OC is too high for the card/game to operate properly together. Every game behaves differently with different overclocks. Assuming you are using Afterburner, just make a profile that runs at a much lower spec then what you normally have it cranked too. Best advice is to start at stock levels (besides fan curve) and work up from there. /shrug
I think it’s the game. It even crashes on stock clock. Not much but it happens. Strange thing is that I run much more aggressive overclocks on pretty much any other game, including Kingdom Come Deliverance, COD Modern Warfare, Metro exodus, battlefield 5, shadow of the TR, AC:O, etc. some of the games evern with ray tracing activated.

MoonFartFlam

Honorable
Feb 21, 2017
I've gone through R* support with them trying to make it so the game can even launch. they've told me that RDR2 doesn't support having MSI afterburner/Rivatuner installed. They haven't even suggested other applications that work with it. See below.

MlCGFxa.png