Re-allocating space maybe?

JoSTAR

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Hey guys, so a bit of a technical question here. I recently upgraded to a SSD (finally) and the performance has been stellar. However since I was using a TB Harddrive before; I did have to partition a portion of the space (approximately ~110GB) for just the Local Disk. So since I just upgraded I have about ~110GB of unallocated space. My question is should I re-allocate it back into my TB harddrive or should I just leave it alone? I'm not super desperate for space at the moment; I was more curious on what the cons are of doing so if any. Here's a pic if you guys need it http://i68.tinypic.com/f0c31h.png

Solution
If you are not desperate to use the 110GB disk space, I suggest you leave it be. if you want the space, you can use the unallocated space to create a new partition in Disk Management. If the system reserved partition was created when installing Windows, then you cannot boot from the SSD when the HDD is removed.

if you have partitioned your drive before installing Windows, then it does not need a system reserved partition. In this case, you can delete the system reserved partition and add all the unallocated space to E: drive.

By the way, I personally do not suggest you use third party software unless you have to.

JoSTAR

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

Primarily I just wanted to seperate my back-ups and have the 110GB with just windows installed to kinda organize things. The system reserved partition was already there on default when I bought the harddrive a while ago. I Did install with both of them connected but I only installed it on the SSD while deleting the partitioned 110GB with windows installed.

Hi there JoSTAR,

In case you want to allocate that space, then I believe you can:
- Just create another partition out of it.
- Use some third party tool to put that space in E:.

Keep in mind that you should always back up your data before dealing with partitions.

As SkyNetRising suggested, your system reserved partition shouldn't really be on the HDD. You have performed OS installation when the HDD was attached right?

I believe it would be a good idea to perform a clean OS installation while the SSD is the only drive attached.

Edit: kind of late :D

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

EDab

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
If you are not desperate to use the 110GB disk space, I suggest you leave it be. if you want the space, you can use the unallocated space to create a new partition in Disk Management. If the system reserved partition was created when installing Windows, then you cannot boot from the SSD when the HDD is removed.

if you have partitioned your drive before installing Windows, then it does not need a system reserved partition. In this case, you can delete the system reserved partition and add all the unallocated space to E: drive.

By the way, I personally do not suggest you use third party software unless you have to.

Solution
There is absolutely no reason for your secondary drive (D:) to contain a System Reserved partition given your basic OS configuration. Delete that partition and then you can utilize Disk Management to extend the current D: partition so as to encompass all the remaining disk-space of that 1 TB disk.

Now you'll probably have to assign a drive letter to the SR partition in order to delete it using Disk Management. Although there shouldn't be any problem in doing so In some cases the system will balk re deleting a SR partition. If that situation occurs you can use Diskpart to effect the deletion.

You can, of course, use the secondary 1 TB drive to COMPREHENSIVELY backup your SSD containing the OS since that disk contains a relatively small amount of total data on the disk. You could (should you choose) to create another partition on your secondary drive for this purpose, ideally using a disk-cloning program on a reasonably frequent basis to clone the contents of the SSD to that partition.

Well, in fact you can add those 110GB to partition E:
1st you need to make sure, that system boots normally when hdd is disconnected.
Disconnect hdd, reboot and if everything is ok, then you can delete system reserved partition and extend E: , so unallocated space is added to it.
You'll need to use diskpart utility to delete system reserved partition, Disk Management may not allow doing it.
Commands would be like:

• diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 1 (make sure you select HDD)
    list partition
    select partition 2 (make sure you select system reserved partition)
    delete partition override
    select partition 1 (make sure you select partition E: )
    extend
    exit

JoSTAR

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Thanks for all the suggestion guys! I Didn't know about the system reserved partition until now so that solved one thing. I'll just keep it at bay and if I'm desperate I might re-allocate it but who knows maybe I'll just buy more space later down the road and just transfer my old stuff to there. Anyways both drives have been running great so for now I'm happy as is lol