Re applying thermal compound to hydro series H80i

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello,
Curious on how I should reapply the thermal compound to my H80i, I am pretty sure it's simple but I want to know if I should apply it on the heat sink or directly on the CPU and if I should spread the paste.

Also in the corsair link it says that my drive temp is at 117C' When I go to touch it though. It is not hot at all. I would assume that it would not be alive at that degree.

Solution

From all the testing I had to do in the Thermal Compound Roundup in my sig, I discovered the barest amount applied yielded the best cooling performance, I suggest experimenting mounting/removing and inspecting the thermal footprint, to end up with the thinnest layer possible.

Then you know!

Exactly what's going on under that heat sink. Ryan

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Cheapo cooler master paste that came with my old 212 maybe. And an i5-2500k. And I'd believe so. or at least hope so.

Ok.

I don't know how thick that thermal paste is as I've never used it before, I would play it safe and put a small amount in the center of the CPU and spread it evenly with an old credit card or similar. You only want a thin layer of paste so no need to apply it to both the CPU and the heatsink/waterblock.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
A general rule of thumb is to apply a pea-sized amount (or a little less) on the CPU and mount the heat sink. This will spread the paste evenly, without trapping air bubbles as the credit card method tends to do.

Didn't you receive the scientific documentation letter of thermal application methods of monkeys and zebras regarding the thermal compound you have.

That would border on criminal negligence of the thermal compound provider not to supply detailed application methods, I mean this is critical information! :)

jking!

Below is not joking!

If you did not apply any thermal compound at all the heat sink would still cool the CPU or GPU metal to metal, that's what a heat sink does.

The only purpose of thermal compound is to fill the microscopic imperfections between the two contacting surfaces filling the air gap left behind by the microscopic imperfections with a thermal interface material that conducts thermal transfer better than the air does.

Applying it is not rocket science!

Doesn't matter how you apply it, what does matter is you only use enough to fill the microscopic imperfections for maximum cooling performance.

You do not want a goopy squished out layer, like your heat sink is sitting in a pile of poo!

That's bad!

Good luck in your seriously complicated endeavor! :)

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Thanks for the giggle. I was just curious. From my past times I did the credit card method and I was wanting to just do the dot in the middle and just let the heat sink spread. From reading other articles I do not have to cover the whole CPU with thermal grease so I was just wanting to try something new.

From all the testing I had to do in the Thermal Compound Roundup in my sig, I discovered the barest amount applied yielded the best cooling performance, I suggest experimenting mounting/removing and inspecting the thermal footprint, to end up with the thinnest layer possible.

Then you know!

Exactly what's going on under that heat sink. Ryan

Solution

buk laou

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I'll probably end up doing it. Anyways thanks