Question Re-built workstation has total wipeout crashes from time to time ?

Gnq

Mar 2, 2021
CPU: Xeon E5-2690
Motherboard: Dell 09M8Y8
Ram: Hynix 16GB HMT82GV7AMR4A-H9 x 8 = 128GB
SSD/HDD: XUM HX512GSSDSATA3 512GB SATA III SSD
GPU: nVidia Quadro K4000
PSU: Dell 825W 80 Plus Gold
Chassis: Dell Precision T3610

Good afternoon

My professionally re-built desktop PC is excellent except, once in a while (maybe once a month) it experiences a seemingly random sudden total wipeout. The collapse is so fast that no errors have time to be logged.

However, I can force the wipeout with one particular piece of software in very specific circumstances, but the author says the software cannot cause the wipeout, so it must be an underlying hardware problem. That software is Goldwave audio editor. It has a MDI-style interface; when a window is opened displaying a sound wave form, about a quarter of a second after I start to scroll the wave in the window my machine will suddenly, instantly, totally wipeout. What hardware load can this be causing?

I do have one other error which may or may not be related: Windows Explorer will terminate for no reason about once a week. This latter issue causes no real problems as I just restart it.

Thank you in advance

GNQ

PS I may have found a second 'culprit'. When rendering a video file with Kdenlive in 'parallel processing' mode, there is a tendency to wipeout part-way through the render process. This hints at a CPU error, perhaps?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
OS: since you mentioned Windows 10, state which version you're currently on. We're currently on version 20H2.

Can you also check the BIOS version for your platform? If you're unsure of how to gather specs, you can use CPU-Z to get the internal specs. While the only way you get PSU details is to open up the side panel and take a picture of the labelled side of the PSU.

Reactions: Gnq