Question re-install windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have a norton ghost image of windows on another drive. I know it is old but I was suggested to download Macrum. But as I can't create a USB to bott off like ghost. I can't use it. It looks like I will have to re-install windows from scratch now. This means I won't have office 2019. Don't know how to get it back. If anyone has a link to this please.

Also how do you recover Macrum? I do have an image but no way of restoring.

Thanks

Paul

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Macrium allows you to do one of two things with the Windows PE used to reload a system image file:

1. Create an external bootable media (DVD or USB) that you use when you need to do a recovery.

2. Install Windows PE as a part of your regular boot process, so you will be asked every time you boot your system whether you want to boot into PE recovery or regular Windows.

Option 1 is how virtually all system image recovery is done by default. I don't know of a single recovery utility that, when installed, does not prompt you to create your recovery media/disc as part of the process, though you can skip the step and do it later [which generally isn't a good idea, as you've got to have the bootable media to recover from a full system image].

USAFRet

Titan
Hi. I have a norton ghost image of windows on another drive. I know it is old but I was suggested to download Macrum. But as I can't create a USB to bott off like ghost. I can't use it. It looks like I will have to re-install windows from scratch now. This means I won't have office 2019. Don't know how to get it back. If anyone has a link to this please.

Also how do you recover Macrum? I do have an image but no way of restoring.

Thanks

Paul
Why can't you create the Macrium Rescue USB?
That is a default function in there. Given a non-broken flash drive, I've never seen it fail.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
That is a default function in there. Given a non-broken flash drive, I've never seen it fail.

And if that function were, by some bizarre twist, broken or unavailable on the machine in question, you can always install Macrium on another machine and create it as part of the install process or invoke that function on a machine with Macrium already on it.

The bootable recovery environment is not "machine specific" in any way so you can use one you created anywhere. A system image for Windows 10, is, since the license is tied to the mobo of the machine from which the image originates.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Thanks guys. I have created a USB disk and was able to restore a Macrum image. Couldn't see a format option. I would like that as it sorts out the bad sectors first. This is a free version. What do you get if you pay for it? Is it worth going for?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks guys. I have created a USB disk and was able to restore a Macrum image. Couldn't see a format option. I would like that as it sorts out the bad sectors first. This is a free version. What do you get if you pay for it? Is it worth going for?
The paid version gives more options for Image type.

The free has Full and Differential images.
The paid version has Full, Differential, and Incremental.

There might be a couple of other small differences.

For most people, the Free version is just fine.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Ok thanks. All i would need is size of compression or no compression. Hardly use it so free seems fine for me. As for machine independent boot usb. That's is just a dot net version at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.