Re-Installation

Rich

Hi,

Someone brought their computer to me because of numerous
popups and viruses. After clearing the viruses and
running Spybot Search and Destroy the system became slow
and unresponsive. Additionally I was not able to bring up
websites unless I entered the IP address.
I decided to re-install Windows 2000 Pro. At the point
where Windows "Installing Devices" the machine re-boots.
I have removed all devices from the machine, disconnected
the NIC card and swapped the memory, but none of that
worked.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rich

1. Goto TREND MICRO for a FREE virus Check.
2. Check that all hardware is on the HCL list, Check that
all drivers are up to date.
3. Check your BIOS Settings
3. Check the MBR and repair as necessary.
4. Reformat the partition that you are installing too.

Rich

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I cannot go to
TREND MICRO because Win 2000 is stuck in loop that wants
to install (actually re-install) Windows 2000. Is there
a way to stop the system from attempting to reinstall?

I don't know about the hardware or Bios because the
system worked (poorly because of the pop-ups) but
worked. If I reformat then I lose everything, not an
optimal solution.

Thanks
Rich

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

A lot of spyware will edit the hosts file to make it
difficult to use the internet. Edit:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and remove any extra settings besides localhost.

-dave