Re-installing Windows 7 OEM

Michael Jenkinson

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
This is my first post on tom'sHARDWARE, so please excuse my stupidity.

I'm thinking of replacing my 7 year old PC and getting a new laptop instead.I already have a legally purchased OEM version of Windows 7 64 bit (which is currently installed on my PC) and would like to know if this can be installed onto the new laptop. It would just save me a bit of money (to upgrade on something else) if it can be re-used.However, I believe this is not possible.Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks

To add to the above, the laptop may in turn also have a licence locked into its BIOS settings, to cover whatever the manufacturers installed. Only buying a full retail version of Windows 7 is the safest way to get where you want to go unless you switch to free software from the Linux stables.

However if you got Windows 8 OEM you can carry that over to a different PC. With Windows 8 Microsoft changed that requirement and it is no longer tied to the motherboard it was installed on. So in a couple years if you upgraded the motherboard or moved over to a complete new rig you could install it with the same key on to the new rig as long as you are only using on one PC at a time. It is really the best option anymore.

Michael Jenkinson

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

That's very interesting.Thank you. Just not sure of the "tile" system of 8 ????? I like to see a nice clean desktop with as few icons as possible.