Re-installing Windows 7...

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hi,

I bought a refurbished Dell computer with Windows 7 installed. The seller said, that he can install it for free, but I do not get the DVD. If I wanted the DVD, I would have to pay extra. I totally get that.

What I would like to know is, what happens, if I format C one day?! Could I use the serial number of the installed Windows version, to re-install Windows again?! Is there a way of somehow ripping the OS from C and burn it to a DVD?!

I know that I can download Windows 7 from a million sites out there, but I would to for once, keep it real! LOL...

thanks,

G

The_IT_Guy

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Yes, use the same serial that is on the computer. You bought the computer and so the license/serial transferred over to you.

1- find the current serial: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

2- download a ISO of the DVD: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Once you download the ISO, you'll need to burn it to a DVD (http://www.freeisoburner.com/). Then, with a magic marker (not a ball point pen) write the current serial number on it so you have a things set if you do decide to format.

USAFRet

Titan
The seller said, that he can install it for free, but I do not get the DVD. If I wanted the DVD, I would have to pay extra. I totally get that.

I do NOT get that. The DVD costs $0.50. Burning it takes a couple of clicks. The activation key is useless elsewhere.
What is he hiding?

A reseller is obligated, under the MS license, to give you the valid activation key.

At the very least, get the activation key from him. You can download the official Win7 ISO, and burn your own install disk.
Download the ISO here: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

But this sounds shady to me.

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

You must have not read what I wrote, or I do not understand what you saying!? Maybe both, ha ha. Let's try again. The system comes with Windows 7. It has two SSD's in RAID 1, for the OS. I would like to change that, and install Windows 7 on each SSD, so I can decide which one i would like to use, when the PC boots.

Thanks,
G

P.s. while I was trying to write a reply, to the first guy, using my phone, I realize that there are many more answers... so this reply is in regards to the first guy. :)

p.p.s. I just realized that I quoted the first guy, thus making my "p.s." comment from above obsolete, ha ha.

USAFRet

Titan

As said earlier, the seller is obligated to give you the license key, per the licensing agreement. Period.
You can use that key to reinstall on that system as needed. But only one.

Second - Why Win7 on two different drives? That would be two different licenses.

tarunkumar2

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
dell oem discs are meant for dell systems only,, if you try to install os on a different system, it will come up with a prompt to enter the product key, and also the hardware id;'s wont match and so the installation may not proceed

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Hey, thanks for the info and the links! I already tried the little program, that shows you the license key!

thanks,

G

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I am not sure what to tell you?! All I know is, that the way he explained it, it made sense?! I always thought that you can buy a License from Microsoft, that allows you to install Windows on many PC's?! One of those, I thought, is Windows Server® 2012,Datacenter Edition?! There must be a reason why it cost over $4000 bucks and the "regular" version is $600 bucks or so. I may be wrong though, but what he told me, sounded similar. HOWEVER, there is always a big chance though, that I misunderstood him, and he was saying something totally different, ha ha. Noob here, remember?! :D

thanks,

G

USAFRet

Titan
I always thought that you can buy a License from Microsoft, that allows you to install Windows on many PC's?!

Yes, you can get a volume license key. But that almost certainly has nothing to do with what he has installed on your PC.
A reseller is obligated to give you the license key.

One of those, I thought, is Windows Server® 2012,Datacenter Edition?! There must be a reason why it cost over $4000 bucks and the "regular" version is $600 bucks or so. I may be wrong though

And Windows Server 2008/2012 has nothing to do with what is on your PC.
That "$4000" thing is multiple Client Access Licenses (CAL), able to connect to that server.

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

I actually do not have the PC yet. It will be here tomorrow. Once here, let me see what is included. Maybe he printed the key on a piece of paper... I have no idea.

I am glad you brought up the second licence "issue". I didn't even think about that! Are you sure though, that Windows will treat the ONE computer, as two different computers, when everything is exactly the same?! After all, the drives are in the same case and everything IS the same?!

thanks,

G

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, that is two different installs and two different activations.

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Yes, you can get a volume license key. But that almost certainly has nothing to do with what he has installed on your PC. A reseller is obligated to give you the license key.

Hmm... interesting. Here is what I don't get?! If there is a little program out there, that can look up the installed key, why does he have to give it to me?! What is the difference between him giving it to me, or me looking it up?!

And Windows Server 2008/2012 has nothing to do with what is on your PC.
That "$4000" thing is multiple Client Access Licenses (CAL), able to connect to that server.

I wondered that "CAL" stood for! Thanks for that!

Like I said, I think we should wait till tomorrow and see what comes with it. I can always just call him and ask...

thanks again,

G

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Really>! Man that sucks...

thanks,

G

USAFRet

Titan

Why do you want two different Win7 installs on the same system?

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Why do you want two different Win7 installs on the same system?

Good question... I am going to try to keep it short, ha ha.

My Laptop, which is my only computer, really started to suck, when it came to video editing. I decided to go and get a workstation. I want to keep it as "clean" as possible, and only install programs, that are really necessary! There are two reasons for that.

1. Nothing drives me more insane, than "old" files being left behind, after you uninstall a program! I have always been a bit nuts about the whole thing! Back in 2000, when I got my first computer, I would format it 3 times a week. Seriously, I would install 30 programs, test them, and instead of uninstalling them, I formatted my PC and only installed the few programs again, I liked! Thank God I came across a program called Drive Image by PowerQuest, ha ha. Now instead of formatting, I would bring back a clean image, install the programs I like and make another image... and so on. I actually didn't even like to go online before I made a "clean" image. I would install Windows, make an image... Why am I telling you all of this?! HA HA?!?!? Sorry!!!

To make a long story short; I would like to have one Win to mess around with and one that is for work only! What better way is there, other than to install two different Win versions, on two different drives?!

thanks,

G

p.s. Sorry about the long, really boring first part of my reply!

The program that lists the key will only show what key is on the system - and on OEM versions that have been installed by the reseller it does you no good as they use an SLP key which remains the same for all of their installs but if you go to reinstall the OS using any other media than a recovery disk directly from the manufacturer it will fail to activate and when you make the phone call to activate they will tell you to use the other key that is on the COA (certificate of Authenticity) that is required to be placed on the system case - If you do not have that key they will not activate the license and you will have to buy a new copy of windows. (resellers are required to include that sticker with a unique code for each system on every system they sell using their SLP key but many unauthorized resellers will not include it so they do not have to pay for every license on the systems they sell and will instead use their SLP key in violation of the EULA - which will work fine until the end user goes to reinstall the OS and can not get it activated (usually long enough after sale that they do not offer any refund if you can even find them !!)

When it gets delivered and you run the program mentioned to get the key make sure it is not using the Dell SLP key

DELL OEM SLP KEYS :
36Q3Y-BBT84-MGJ3H-FT7VD-FG72J Starter edition
36T88-RT7C6-R38TQ-RV8M9-WWTCY Home Basic
6RBBT-F8VPQ-QCPVQ-KHRB8-RMV82 Home Premium
32KD2-K9CTF-M3DJT-4J3WC-733WD Professional
342DG-6YJR8-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27 Ultimate

These are the DELL SLP keys that DELL uses when they install windows 7 on their systems and then they stick an individual unique COA key sticker on the system case for use for reinstalling using any other media than their own factory restore disk. Their systems have special code in the system MOBO's BIOS that will preactivate the OS using that key on their MOBOs but if you reinstall using any other media then you have to enter the COA key from the sticker on the case as the SLP key is not unique and will not activate using the activation servers and MS will instruct you to change the key - and if you do not have a key to use they will tell you that the install is not genuine and you need to repurchase a license.

USAFRet

Titan

A MUCH better way to do that is to utilize Virtual Machines. An entire 'PC' encapsulated in a file, running in the main PC. Far easier to roll back to a known state, install what you like, play around. etc, etc.

I'm partial to VirtualBox.

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Thank you for the excellent info, very useful! Guess what?! I just got my Computer!!! I am going to loose my mind!!! This thing is so freakin' cool, it makes no sense, ha ha. Anyhow, I checked the Key with the little program listed above, and MY Key does not match the Keys you have listed! My Key actually matches, the Key that is on the cases sticker!!! I guess that means, that I have a key that I can use later with any Windows 7 Pro version, right?!

thanks again,

G

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

That's a good idea, and I thought about it myself. I used VMware a couple of times, and I liked it. I haven't decided yet, which route to go. I believe there are three ways of doing this:

1. Install Windows on two different hard drives - Downside is, that you have to turn your system off and on again, in order to choose the other OS...

2. Install a second Windows (Multi-boot) on a second partition - I am not sure about that one. Never done it, and I am wondering, how the performance of each OS will suffer?! all I know is, that it is not ideal to have ANY partitions, when it comes to performance (write/read)...

3. Use a Virtualization software - This option sounds good, because you do not have to turn your computer off and on, you can just go back and forth! I like that! On the other hand, I do not need to go back and forth. Going back and forth on the same OS makes little sense. I only need the second Windows, so I can test programs and then, when I like them, install them on the first Windows!!! actually, that is not true. Having a virtual PC running, means you can use the internet on the virtual machine, whereas the first one never goes online and/or gets "polluted" this way, ha ha. The only downside I can see is, that you will not get the same performance as you would, when running a program in the "regular" Windows.

MAN, this is going to keep me up all night long! If you have any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

thnaks,

G

p.s. right now I have Windows 7 Pro installed on two SSD's, that run in RAID 1, so I do have a "spare" drive that I can use...

The_IT_Guy

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Follow USAFRet suggestion and try a Virtual Machine (VM) setup. I run both VMware and VirtualBox. I have used VMware extensively and it's a real powerhouse for businesses but it's overkill for most home users. Oracle VM VirtualBox is much simpler interface and you can 'roll back' to when you last had the VM on. Meaning, you start up the VM and install programs to try. You then shut down and tell it to not save anything you've done. The VM stays the way you had it before your messing around.

As was mentioned, you will be running an OS within an OS so the power isn't like having the OS directly on the hardware. It is a great way to test programs, isolate programs, or run legacy programs on a legacy OS. Plus, you can have multiple VMs running at the same time if you have enough hardware to run them all.

TRENDING THREADS