Re-Mount External Hard Drive after Ejecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObjectNull

Commendable
Jun 27, 2017
Is it possible to remount an external hard drive that I've ejected but haven't unplugged? As far as I can tell the only way I can remount it is by unplugging and replugging it back in. With my Mac I can just go into Disk Utility, select the drive, and choose Mount but in Windows 10 the hard drive disappears from Disk Management when it's ejected so I have nothing to select to mount.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks!

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
There is probably a way, but you probably won't figure it out without having to reboot a few times.

I think it is along the lines of using the device manager to disable and uninstall the USB device in question. And then have it scan for new device. And when it asks for reboot, just say no. But there is some order of operation matter there. If you screw up the order, then you will have to reboot otherwise it won't be able to scan re-add the device.

ObjectNull

Commendable
Jun 27, 2017

That's a shame. Windows definitely recognizes that the drive is still connected because it makes a *chime* sound when I unplug it (even after I've ejected the drive). I wish they just continued to show the drive in Disk Management but identified it as unmounted so I could remount it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS