[SOLVED] Re: New type RAM stick, Should I take out side plates?

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, guys, thanks for helping me!

I purchased an additional 4 gb ram and put into my mother board in the second ram slot, so i am supposed to have total 8 gb, but for some reason my system still shows only 4 gb. I am working on different things to find out the reason why my computer is still showing just 4 gb.

In the meantime i am wondering whether it is the new type of ram stick that is the reason.

The new ram stick has some plate like shield or cover on the sides which my previous ran stick does not have. Am I supposed to take out this side plate, OR, does the ram stick goes into the slot with the side plates too?

This is the link to ram stick, this is not the exact ram I put, but this is the picture I could get, and as you see on the sides the ram stick has some extra covering or plate like structure on both sides;

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076JXXDRB/ref=psdc_1375384031_t3_B07DP5YC9D

Am I supposed to take out the plate, or do I put the whole piece (ram stick + the side plates) in to the ram slot?

Please help me, thank you guys so much!

Solution
Don't remove those. You'll void the warranty and not be able to return them.

Sometimes RAM just isn't compatible with existing RAM.
- Try it by itself and make sure it works.
- Try reseating it. Making sure it is fully seated.
- If XMP is enabled (in BIOS) disable it and try again.
- Check to see if both are recognized in the BIOS.
- If all else fails. Return it and get something else. Crucial usually has a high level of compatibility with existing RAM.
- Your best bet is to return it. Sell what you have. Buy a matched pair.
Don't remove those. You'll void the warranty and not be able to return them.

Sometimes RAM just isn't compatible with existing RAM.
- Try it by itself and make sure it works.
- Try reseating it. Making sure it is fully seated.
- If XMP is enabled (in BIOS) disable it and try again.
- Check to see if both are recognized in the BIOS.
- If all else fails. Return it and get something else. Crucial usually has a high level of compatibility with existing RAM.
- Your best bet is to return it. Sell what you have. Buy a matched pair.

Solution