Re-Painting FS2004 Textures

I'm am trying to modify FS2004 aircraft textures using Adobe Elements
3.0. The textures that I'm working with are not compressed, so they load
easily into Elements without any conversion first. After loading the texture
files into Elements, I convert them to RGB Color, and then do the
modifications on them. Then before saving them I convert them back to
Indexed color and save them as BMP's. But I am obviously doing something
wrong, as the textures on the aircraft appear completely scrambled. I
noticed that after converting them back to Indexed Color, and saving them as
BMP's on the Save As dialog box, that there are two Palette parameters that
can be selected. They are Palette, and Forced. There are also selections
under Options like: Matte, Dither, Dither Amount, and Preserve Exact Colors.
I think that the reason why my textures are all scrambled after being
modified is that even though I am saving them as BMP's, they are not being
saved in the exact format needed by FS2004. Does anyone have an idea of what
I might be doing wrong? Is Photoshop okay to use? I use this program only
because I know it so well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Randy L.

Hi Randy

I've only just started re-painting (today in fact) and I found I had similar
problems as you, although I was using PaintShop Pro.

Had a read read through this NG and some kind soul posted a link to a
freeware prog that converts to/from the format FS2004 needs. Program is
dxtbmp. All's OK now.

Can't remember the link but do as I did and you'll soon find it.

HTH, Dave.

Dave,
Thanks for the link. It's really weird, because I tried doing the exact
same procedure using Adobe Photoshop 7 instead of Adobe Photoshop Elements,
and it worked fine! I have no idea why it wouldn't work using Adobe
Photoshop Elements, but does work using Adobe Photoshop 7. Life is a
mystery....
I did download and install DXTBmp. I tried using it, but it came with no
instructions on how to use it. I can load an aircraft bitmap into it, and
pass that bitmap to an editing program, and do the modifications. But then I
get stuck on how to save it. My copy seems to want to give the texture that
I am modifying a default filename of "norm.dat", and save it in a temp
directory somewhere inside my Documents and Settings directory. Have no idea
how to proceed from that point. Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains
exactly how this program works? Thanks much for your help.

Randy L.

"Dave Potter" <potter55@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Here you go Randy
>
> http://fly.to/mwgfx/

GREGORY

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:09:56 -0700, "Randy L."
<rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> brought the following to our attention:

>Dave,
> Thanks for the link. It's really weird, because I tried doing the exact
>same procedure using Adobe Photoshop 7 instead of Adobe Photoshop Elements,
>and it worked fine! I have no idea why it wouldn't work using Adobe
>Photoshop Elements, but does work using Adobe Photoshop 7. Life is a
>mystery....
> I did download and install DXTBmp. I tried using it, but it came with no
>instructions on how to use it. I can load an aircraft bitmap into it, and
>pass that bitmap to an editing program, and do the modifications. But then I
>get stuck on how to save it. My copy seems to want to give the texture that
>I am modifying a default filename of "norm.dat", and save it in a temp
>directory somewhere inside my Documents and Settings directory. Have no idea
>how to proceed from that point. Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains
>exactly how this program works? Thanks much for your help.
>
>Randy L.

If should work fine.. DXTBmp is one of the best utilities for Sim!

Here's a quick look:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/GUI.png (116k)

Alpha channel in upper right with it's toolbar. The editing sequence:

A - Open file

B - Send file to PSP7 (see editor icon lower right)

C - After editing is complete CTRL+S (save PSP), ALT+F4 (close PSP)
button C burns edited `temp' file into DXTBmp workspace

D - Save or Export new file

Another note.. several recent DXTBmp versions are a bit different..
have a collection as seen in this DIR.. by changing filename of EXE.
Notice title bar in image above says 4.00.74

03/31/2003 531,968 DXTbmp_64.exe
04/10/2004 201,728 DXTbmp_74.exe
05/20/2004 198,144 DXTbmp_79.exe

-Gregory

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:16:47 -0500, Gregory wrote:
> Another note.. several recent DXTBmp versions are a bit different..
> have a collection as seen in this DIR.. by changing filename of EXE.
> Notice title bar in image above says 4.00.74
>
> 03/31/2003 531,968 DXTbmp_64.exe
> 04/10/2004 201,728 DXTbmp_74.exe
> 05/20/2004 198,144 DXTbmp_79.exe

The latest version is currently 4.0.0.82

Bill

GREGORY

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:37:45 -0500, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:16:47 -0500, Gregory wrote:
>> Another note.. several recent DXTBmp versions are a bit different..
>> have a collection as seen in this DIR.. by changing filename of EXE.
>> Notice title bar in image above says 4.00.74
>>
>> 03/31/2003 531,968 DXTbmp_64.exe
>> 04/10/2004 201,728 DXTbmp_74.exe
>> 05/20/2004 198,144 DXTbmp_79.exe
>
>The latest version is currently 4.0.0.82
>
>Bill

hmm.. must go ahead and download. Thing is.. in v_79 the mips count
no longer was displayed in the lower status bar. This was a `must'
feature.. and besides any version can be launched from it's own
desktop icon. Eval them and take your pick!!

-G

Randy

In DXTBmp open the file. I then save it as [24bit bmp] (original file
name)+temp.bmp.
I then load the (original file name)+temp.bmp into PSP and edit away. I then
save it as (original file name)+temp.bmp
Back in DXTBmp I again open (original file name)+temp.bmp and then save it
as an extended bmp with the ORIGINAL file name.

Sounds a bit convoluted but it works fine for me - strangely, I cannot pass
the bmp's to the editor, all I get is a white page!

There are 3 doc's and 1 html help file in the folder - if you haven't got
these, email me and I'll send them to you.

HTH
Dave
potterAIR 737-800

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:28:00 -0500, Gregory wrote:

> hmm.. must go ahead and download. Thing is.. in v_79 the mips count
> no longer was displayed in the lower status bar. This was a `must'
> feature.. and besides any version can be launched from it's own
> desktop icon. Eval them and take your pick!!

The latest version has two very nice features:

The path of the LOADED .bmp is "remembered" so when you go to Save... it
will suggest the SAME PATH... How many times have I loaded a .bmp from one
folder, then accidentally saved it to the WRONG folder??? ;(

The "Use MIPS" option is now "sticky" and will default to whatever it was
when you last used the program. Except for AI a/c, I never use MIPS,
because you can't zoom out away from the a/c far enough for them to be used
anyway! ;)

Bill