[SOLVED] Re-pasted heatsink, lower cpu temps but slightly higher gpu?

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
Hello, so i posted about an issue I had with a recently bought laptop (acer Nitro 5) that suffered from overheating and i decided to open it up and re-paste it myself, before the re-paste the CPU (core i7-7700hq) would have spikes of up to 95-100c (100!!!) degrees and average an 86-90c temperature when gaming, whilst the GPU (a GTX 1050 Ti) would average 60c throughout. After i opened up the laptop and got the job done (i used Kryonaut) the CPU temp dropped dramatically (we're talking a max spike of 75c and an average temp of 70c at 100% usage!!) however the GPU didn't see much improvement, on the contrary it seems to average a bit higher now at around 64c degrees. Considering that the cooling of the laptop is set-up like this: https://i1.wp.com/laptopmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/IMG_20171005_161034.jpg

Could it be that the GPU is running a little hotter due to the massive amounts of heat being displaced from the CPU since the re-paste?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Or maybe the fact that prior to the repaste the cpu was throttling down due to over-temps and you were getting considerably lower usage/performance out of the gpu. After repaste, gpu is probably also working harder too on the same thing as before, so temps increase.

Or a combination of both.

TRENDING THREADS