Question Re-purposing LCD monitor for a DIY lapdog-build

Jul 28, 2020
What

I would like something with the formfactor of a laptop, but with the noiselevel and performance of a quiet gaming desktop computer.

Why

Because I like to game with my laptop on the couch. It enables me to be a little bit social with my wife and watch some Tv-shows at the same time as I game.

So what is wrong with a gaming laptop? High end gaming laptops costs a boatload of money and they are not exactly silent when gaming on them. My GT73VR sounds like a jetplane while gaming on it.

And my wife does not approve of a full fledged gaming setup in our living room either.

How

The general idea is that I want to create a lappad/lapdog that has a slot for the keyboard, and I want to re-purpose a monitor from an older laptop that I mount on it. I want it to be foldable, just like a regular laptop. There would also need be built in an LCD controller for the monitor, so I can use that to connect my monitor with mouse and keyboard. Ideally the controller should also have thunderbolt in order to reduce the cables to the desktop computer.

The desktop computer is supposed to be hidden behind or underneath the couch.

Questions

Have any of you re-purposed a laptop monitor before?

Do you guys see any problems with the build Im proposing?

View: https://imgur.com/qulzSav

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS