[SOLVED] RE: Safely Eject NvME M.2?

S.S

Jan 10, 2020
I have a 512GB Samnsung 960 Pro NvME M.2 inside a ORICO Transparent NVMe M.2 Enclosure USB3.1 Type-C Gen2 10Gbps to M.2 SSD Enclosure that is connected via USB C to my Asus Maximus IX motherboard. I am wondering if I need to safely eject it from Windows 10 before I can physically remove it?

Solution
Yes, it’s connected via USB Type C. But isn’t non-volatile memory not prone to issues if you physically disconnect the SSD without using the safely eject feature of Windows 10? Also what happens if you restart the computer? Should I safely eject prior to restarting or shutting down the PC?
If some set of data is being written to the drive at that moment, it could get corrupted if you just pull the plug.
And you are not the only thing that may be writing to the drive. The drive firmware could be going through a TRIM cycle, write cache could be cleaning up, all sorts of things.

You don't have to Eject if shutting the system down normally.

S.S

Jan 10, 2020
Yes, it’s connected via USB Type C. But isn’t non-volatile memory not prone to issues if you physically disconnect the SSD without using the safely eject feature of Windows 10? Also what happens if you restart the computer? Should I safely eject prior to restarting or shutting down the PC?

USAFRet

Titan
If some set of data is being written to the drive at that moment, it could get corrupted if you just pull the plug.
And you are not the only thing that may be writing to the drive. The drive firmware could be going through a TRIM cycle, write cache could be cleaning up, all sorts of things.

You don't have to Eject if shutting the system down normally.

Solution

S.S

Jan 10, 2020
Alright, thank you for the valuable information. I’m assuming g that restarting the PC will also not require safely ejecting since all the hidden processes are shut down?