[SOLVED] Re-use PSU from my old computer

Gooseer

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Hello everyone,
I'm about to build a new PC for the first time in a couple of years and I'm wondering if it's safe to re-use my PSU from my old build or I should get a new one? My old build have a Corsair AX760 which I bought 2013, it have worked without issues all these years, although I havn't used it daily, not even weekly for the last couple of years. I'm looking at Corsair HX750 in case I'm going to buy a new one, but it's about 200 dollar in my local currency, so if I can save this money I would be thankful.

Patrik

the AX series were fairly high rated when they came out, 8 years ago. had lots of good reviews.
unless you have a very robust system that would need more wattage, it should be fine.

maybe do a google search for any large list of complaints over the last few years, but i believe without any damage, it would still be trustworthy\reliable.

Gooseer

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Seems like a split decision...

What are the risks with the PSU failing in let's say a year? Could I risk damaging the system or can I simply replace it then, IF it happens?

Havn't settled on parts yet, but CPU will most likely be i5 10600K and GPU best I can get for around 250-300 $.

What are the risks with the PSU failing in let's say a year? Could I risk damaging the system or can I simply replace it then, IF it happens?

Havn't settled on parts yet, but CPU will most likely be i5 10600K and GPU best I can get for around 250-300 $.
No one knows. Even a brand new PSU can fail anytime. But one thing to note is that It is not very likely to damage the rest of your system. If you are asking me though, the AX 760 is a well built PSU, and if I were you I'd use it for 10 years no problem. Some might disagree with me and I can fully understand that, but at least I stated my opinion.

Last edited:

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Like most solid state electronics they are usually good, or not, rarely is it a maybe.
I would give it a go, but then I don't have disposable income to toss around, I am on a EVGA PSU from 2013 and my back up is a Thermaltake toughpower from, well, before then.

Consider how much you'll spend on your system upgrade. If you stand to lose what you consider a substantial amount in the event of a catastrophic failure then maybe another $100-150 for a new PSU is not such a bad idea. High quality models come with 7-10 years warranty and a little peace-of-mind can go a long way. You're already coming from a high quality model so you know the value of a good PSU.