[SOLVED] Re-use RAM and PSU or purchase new for new R9 5900X build ?

superswede

Honorable
Sep 13, 2015
Hi,

I built my first PC in January 2016 and I'd like to upgrade my CPU from a i7-6700K to a Ryzen 9 5900X (and corresponding motherboard). My build has an EVGA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum PSU and the following RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400. Given their age, should I get a new PSU (with a higher wattage) and new, faster RAM? I know my 32GB RAM was overkill at the time but it was a good deal. I'm going to keep my RTX 2060 (regular, not super) for now and upgrade once prices come down in the next year or more (hopefully!). I'm planning on buying a new case and cooler and use my current SSD's and HDD's. I back up my files on a relatively new external HDD so I'm not too concerned about my HDD age, though maybe I should be?

Thanks for any help with this!

How many years old is your PSU? Assuming its at least 5 years old (2021-2016), It would also be a good idea to replace it.
There's no way of telling when that will fail, so you have to make the decision. The 5 year mark is usually a time to decide whether to keep going or drop out of it.
If you do decide to get a new PSU, don't cheap out on it. Higher wattage PSUs aren't necessarily better, you have to consider its quality and check reviews if people are experiencing issues with it (especially with their GPU, as GPU now adays are power hungry)

Hi,

I built my first PC in January 2016 and I'd like to upgrade my CPU from a i7-6700K to a Ryzen 9 5900X (and corresponding motherboard). My build has an EVGA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum PSU and the following RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400. Given their age, should I get a new PSU (with a higher wattage) and new, faster RAM? I know my 32GB RAM was overkill at the time but it was a good deal. I'm going to keep my RTX 2060 (regular, not super) for now and upgrade once prices come down in the next year or more (hopefully!). I'm planning on buying a new case and cooler and use my current SSD's and HDD's. I back up my files on a relatively new external HDD so I'm not too concerned about my HDD age, though maybe I should be?

Thanks for any help with this!
  • EVGA P2 is a great model and should have a few more years of service left as long as it meets the power requirements of your system with upgrades.
  • RAM is going to be slow for Ryzen although it will work. I'd replace it.
  • Since you'll have to do clean windows install when replacing the motherboard, repurpose your SSD's to bulk storage and get a new NVME drive for OS and progs and ditch the old clunker hard drive completely.

superswede

Honorable
Sep 13, 2015
My PSU is 5 years old, so I think I'll replace it as you suggest. With my plan of the5900x and at least my current RTX 2060, do you think another 750W PSU is adequate? At first I thought I might need a higher one like a 1000W but they're a lot more expensive. I've seen good reviews for Corsair's RMx 750W one, and PCPartpicker has it for ~$135, so I might go with that.