Re using my old windows 10 key

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I bought my current windows 10 pro OEM key off a seller on amazon.
I'm basically changing my whole pc except my SSD and I was wondering if i might be able to re use this key.

I saw a few sites claiming that you can upgrade easily if you had upgraded from W7 or W8.1
I also saw that you could re use an activation key but only if you de activate on your previous device, but I cannot do that since i've already uninstalled windows on my old pc and installed my new parts.

If someone knows about this or has personal experience with a similar issue, please give me a few suggestions. Should I just buy a new license to avoid further hassle?

Solution
Don't think there is an option to remove key from your ms account.

Seems its done by either deactivating key on old pc first or format the computer. If formatting the pc is the preferred option according to winfaq, how is Microsoft to know you formatted?, that part doesn't make sense to me. Not like theres an internet connection during this process to say its being formatted.

https://win10faq.com/move-your-windows-10-license-to-a-new-computer/

Don't know how reliable winfaq is so just try activate and see how you go. Should just transfer over.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Install Windows on your new build. When it asks for a key try entering the old one. If that does not work, skip the key input and then log on to your microsoft account from Microsoft edge when you get the system up and running. In there you can select your devices from the menu on the top right, then deactivate your old system. Then go into settings, login to your microsoft account there, and it will activate.

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

This was what I had originally planned on trying till I heard OEM keys wouldn't work like that (unless it's been changed?)
This is the message I got from the seller when I bought it about a year ago:

1 of Windows 10 Pro OEM Key Digital Delivery Only

------------- Begin message -------------

Windows 10 Pro
IMPRTANT NOTE: ACTIVATION KEY IS FOR ONE DEVICE ONLY
(MORE THAN ONE ACTIVATION WILL LEAD TO THE KEY BEING BANNED WITHIN 24 HOURS & NO REFUND WILL BE ISSUED)
If you have Windows 10 Pro, then activate with this Activation key
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
If you have an older version such as Windows 7, 8, or 10 home :

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with this upgrade key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
2. Once upgraded, activate with the Windows 10 Pro Activation key given above
3. If it does not work, skip down to troubleshooting of this message

I'm kinda worried about the "One device only" part, not sure if its locked to 1 device or just 1 device at a time. Are 1 time use keys still a thing? I have my old pc registered on my microsoft account still

It does sound a little sketchy. But I guess it worked the first time you used it.

The OEM version is intended to be used on one single system. Even replacing a motherboard can be a problem. Although, I don't think that is strictly adhered to.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Microsoft has relaxed user's rights to OEM. OEM is a confusing subject.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

OEM copies bought from a PC store or Amazon as stand alone software or key (Not tied to a Cooperation -pre-builts, Dell HP etc) can be transferred. An MS account is required so online activation knows it's you signing in on different hardware.

Needing an MS account before hardware change is recommended but people have luckily goten away with it not doing so - possibly a one chance only deal. Create an MS account next time you're able.

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

I already have an MS account and i can see my old device on the list of my devices along with a laptop i have, I can only see an option to remove the device but not the key if there even is such an option.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think there is an option to remove key from your ms account.

Seems its done by either deactivating key on old pc first or format the computer. If formatting the pc is the preferred option according to winfaq, how is Microsoft to know you formatted?, that part doesn't make sense to me. Not like theres an internet connection during this process to say its being formatted.

https://win10faq.com/move-your-windows-10-license-to-a-new-computer/

Don't know how reliable winfaq is so just try activate and see how you go. Should just transfer over.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why do you want to remove the key? If you can see the old device on your account, you can remove the device from your account once you have a new one, and install win 10 on the new PC without a need to buy a new key?

Since licence appears to be linked to your MSA, all you need to do is make new PC, reinstall win 10 (when you get to screen asking for a licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will install and once completed, may auto activate if your user is linked to same email address as MSA. Otherwise go to settings/update & security/activation and click add an account. If that doesn't work, press the troubleshoot button.

If neither works, there is a link to customer support at bottom of this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan
To transfer that license to new hardware:
Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Will that work with whatever thing you purchased from some guy at AMazon?
Completely unknown. But if you don't try it, it will not work.

To remove a license from your MS account...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_licensing/how-to-unlink-my-windows-license-from-my-microsoft/8a33c3f5-6842-4ba3-a5ac-1306f2232914

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I did this exact process with an OEM key, you have nothing to lose at this point.

There is an option not to remove the key, but to deactivate a device. As mentioned I've done it.

USAFRet

Titan

"Need to reinstall" and "license transfer" are two different aspects.
Sometimes only one or the other is needed, sometimes both.

Confusing, and the rules change frequently...:pt1cable:
We see people here all the time, quoting "OEM rules" from a decade ago.

akm360

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

I will try this once I get back to my pc tomorrow