Question Re-using SSD as C: drive on a different computer

Gavin Atkin

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I'm trying to repurpose a previously used SSD for use as the C: drive in my laptop. However, I can't see how to remove the previous system etc - formatting hasn't done the trick. and neither does cloning my laptop's C: drive onto it using Macrion Reflect.

How should I go about this please?

Thanks very much, Gavin

When booting from installation media on new PC, it will show the existing partition(s) structure, where they can be easily deleted in the setup, allowing creation of a new partition scheme and quick format for full fresh install....

(Formatting is not really necessary nor desired, a quick format will be done by WIndows automatically after you delete partitions and start a new install)

USAFRet

Titan
"as the C: drive "

So a drive that contains an OS, put into this laptop, and you're wanting it to boot up?
Probably not happening.

If you're wanting to do a full wipe and reinstall on this drive, no problem.

Assuming Win 10:

Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting all the existing partitions and starting with a blank drive.

Gavin Atkin

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Thank you for your kind reply. The laptop I'm installling the SSD into isn't new. My aim was to clone the existing HDD onto the SSD - but it's not working, I guess because there's no space on the SSD.

Is there anything I can do?

Gavin

Gavin Atkin

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I should perhaps explain that the SSD I'm trying to clone my laptop C: onto is currently in a SATA external hard drive enclosure. Once the cloning is done I intend to install the SSD as a C: drive.

Is cloning from the HDD (half full) to an SSD (same size) this way actually possible? I've successfully cloned HDD to SDD previously using internal plugs and cables.

Gavin