[SOLVED] Read and Write speeds of BD-RE discs?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I'm a little confused about how read/write speeds work when specified on the disc's packaging. Pretty much every typical BD-RE disc has a "2x speed" as specified on their packaging. Is that solely the write speed or both the read/write speed? And if it's solely just the write speed being advertised, how do I determine the read speed? Is that entirely dependent on my Blu-ray drive? So for example, if a BD-RE disc shows 2x on its package for writing, does that mean it'll still be read at 6x speeds if that's the max speed of my drive?

Solution
Writing Speed has nothing to do with read speed which is determined by the reader (BD drive).
1x speed is 4.29MB/s, you can do the math for the other speeds.
Keep in mind write speeds of the other faster drives doesn't mean they start spinning at the fastest speed. They are typically designed to keep the same velocity of the media moving above the laser so writing to the outside edge of the disk it will be spinning slower then writing near the center.

At 2x speed it will take approximately 45 minutes to fill a 25GB disc unless you have Read back verification on which takes much longer

popatim

Titan
Writing Speed has nothing to do with read speed which is determined by the reader (BD drive).
1x speed is 4.29MB/s, you can do the math for the other speeds.
Keep in mind write speeds of the other faster drives doesn't mean they start spinning at the fastest speed. They are typically designed to keep the same velocity of the media moving above the laser so writing to the outside edge of the disk it will be spinning slower then writing near the center.

At 2x speed it will take approximately 45 minutes to fill a 25GB disc unless you have Read back verification on which takes much longer

Solution