[SOLVED] Read old floppy disk formats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2020
I have some old 3.5" floppies I would like to get the data off of. They are older formats: SS DD (360 KB) and DS DD (760 KB). I have a commonly available USB floppy drive (BYTECC BT-144), which true to its name, can only read 1.44 MB disks. So I'm looking at those adapter cables - USB to FDC (Floppy Disk Controller), and they also call themselves 1.44MB 3.5" USB adapters. I still have some old floppy drives and FDC cables - so why wouldn't they work with this adapter? Isn't the intelligence to support the other formats in the drive itself and not the interface adapter? And for that matter, why couldn't I also attach a 5 1/4" drive to this adapter? These adapters seem to only be made in China and I can't get answers from the manufacturers.

Jan 31, 2020
And I've personally seen similar be unreadable at 5 years.

Careful storage in controlled conditions, 30-40 yrs maybe, some of them.
Typical box in the basement/garage/attic...who knows.
The disks have been stored in main living spaces their whole lives. But you're right - they're close to 40 years old. So you're saying even though these drives / adapters call themselves 1.44MB, they're not really limited to that?

USAFRet

Titan
The disks have been stored in main living spaces their whole lives. But you're right - they're close to 40 years old. So you're saying even though these drives / adapters call themselves 1.44MB, they're not really limited to that?
A 1.44 capable drive should be able to read 360/720kb disks. In perfect conditions, with "new" disks.

Disks that are decades old? Who knows.
The top layer can flake off, even just a teeny bit. Same thing happens with the mag layer of cassette and reel to reel tapes. Flaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.