[SOLVED] Read-only attribution in Windows 10. Is this normal?

Jul 21, 2019
Howdy!
So, me and bunch of my friends have a concern about our folders' attributions.

GW3NN8f.png

• Is it normal to have every single folder of our systems in
    axztQyc.png
    (Filled in black box) mode by default?
  • The biggest concern is that whenever we change the "black box mode (
    axztQyc.png
    )" to either
    5W4LXxd.png
    or
    9ts8u8y.png
    modes, hit the OK button and re-open the "Folder Properties" menu, we still get this
    axztQyc.png
    (blackbox thingy! :D) . Is this how it works? Is it supposed to always show up as a black colored box?
  • Also, if its normal, does the same thing apply for Windows XP or not? Because one of my friends just checked it on XP and got the same thing. He is dealing with a virus so he's checking if there is a "read-only virus" on his PC or not.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, it is normal for all folders to be read only on win 10, I cannot remember if its normal for XP as I haven't used it in over 15 years :)

Looks like its the same on XP
This checkbox is a red herring. It doesn't really do anything on folders. If you look, it's probably a square in the checkbox, instead of a check mark.

If you are still having problems writing to the folder, look for a security tab in the same dialog box where you see the checkmark and change the settings there instead.

https://superuser.com/questions/345...ead-only-attribute-from-folder-and-subfolders

I went through the "set it unlocked, apply, open folder and see its locked again" routine about 4 years ago when I...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, it is normal for all folders to be read only on win 10, I cannot remember if its normal for XP as I haven't used it in over 15 years :)

Looks like its the same on XP
This checkbox is a red herring. It doesn't really do anything on folders. If you look, it's probably a square in the checkbox, instead of a check mark.

If you are still having problems writing to the folder, look for a security tab in the same dialog box where you see the checkmark and change the settings there instead.

https://superuser.com/questions/345...ead-only-attribute-from-folder-and-subfolders

I went through the "set it unlocked, apply, open folder and see its locked again" routine about 4 years ago when I was trying to work out an old problem.

But all folders are read only in 10, as it shouldn't matter normally as your user should have the right permissions to make any changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: K_First
Solution