Question read/write cycle of USB stick drive??

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
"
The life expectancy of a USB Flash Drive can be measured by the number of write or erase cycles. USB flash drives can withstand between 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles, depending on the memory technology used.
"

This is what I found on Google about usually how long a USB flash drive (i.e. stick drive) can last. I don't understand
what write/erase cycle is.... shouldn't it be measured by megabytes or tetrabytes?

writing one very large file or one very small file to the flash drive, how much cycle does it count??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
One cycle would be all the memory on any given device.

So on an 8GB flash drive, assuming it had 10,000 read/write cycles, should be good for writing 80 TB worth of data.

But that is only a single metric. Mean Time Between Failures, single cells going bad and getting trimmed off, all kinds of factors.

USB flash drives are more or less disposable. So make backups often in multiple places.

And as noted, that depends on the storage technology. Flash has been getting more fragile the denser they make it.

"
The life expectancy of a USB Flash Drive can be measured by the number of write or erase cycles. USB flash drives can withstand between 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles, depending on the memory technology used.
"

This is what I found on Google about usually how long a USB flash drive (i.e. stick drive) can last. I don't understand
what write/erase cycle is.... shouldn't it be measured by megabytes or tetrabytes?

writing one very large file or one very small file to the flash drive, how much cycle does it count??

If you are actually trying to use this to figure out how long your drive will last, I have never had one die due to flash memory failure, it's always been some other damage like a USB power surge or the USB physical connection issue where the electronics can't talk to the memory anymore.

I just tell people, use the thing, when it dies, replace it. Don't worry about the future about how long this or that may last.

TRENDING THREADS