Reading a MAC HDD in Windows 7

feelrealgood

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
My girlfriend has been on me about taking her busted mac harddrive out and pulling her files off of it. I finally got around to it and installed it in an external enclosure. When I go into disk management, the hard drive is recognized (albeit with no assigned letter). I can't do anything/access the drive. The most it will let me do is format the drive, but that is going to leave me in a heap of trouble.

Is there someway I can access the drive to pull off some of her files? Thanks all

EDIT: I failed to mention, I installed macdrive8 which is suppose to allow you to access a MAC Hdd. Unfortunately when I click "Explore MAC Disk" it opens up My Computer, where the drive is not visible. The drive is only visible under disk management.

The drive is only under Disk Manager because Windows can't read HFS. Assuming you have another Mac that's working, the easiest thing would be to use a SATA to USB converter and copy the data. If not, there are a ton of Linux distros that can read the format used by OSX, you can try one of those. If that's not possible, try what MrLinux said.