[SOLVED] Reading Comprehension - Hybrid Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
1: IMO since Windows Kernel uses modules to process various workloads then it is not monolithic (monolithic means 1 program does all the work) then it is indeed a hybrid to me.
2A: There are basic 2 types of Windows driver code, legacy which includes 95,98, ME and the NT3.1 (WDM) style which is what's been in use with all the newer Windows, including Win10.
2B: Binary compatible means the 'executable code' can be run on both those listed OS's. Source compatibility means the source code can be compiled (turned into executable code) by the OS's

Also worth noting is that WDM capability has been backloaded into at least Win95 with updates. For Win95 it came with OSR2 update.

shaharhada

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
More question in the same article:
"Windows Driver Model (WDM) exists in the intermediate layer and was mainly designed to be binary and source compatible between Windows 98 and Windows 2000."
  1. What the meaning of the sentence in simple English?
  2. What is to be binary and source compatible? What is binary compatible?

popatim

Titan
1: IMO since Windows Kernel uses modules to process various workloads then it is not monolithic (monolithic means 1 program does all the work) then it is indeed a hybrid to me.
2A: There are basic 2 types of Windows driver code, legacy which includes 95,98, ME and the NT3.1 (WDM) style which is what's been in use with all the newer Windows, including Win10.
2B: Binary compatible means the 'executable code' can be run on both those listed OS's. Source compatibility means the source code can be compiled (turned into executable code) by the OS's

Also worth noting is that WDM capability has been backloaded into at least Win95 with updates. For Win95 it came with OSR2 update.

Reactions: shaharhada
Solution

shaharhada

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020

What is the meaning of the word backloaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.