[SOLVED] Reading RAID 0 striped on Intel X79 motherboard on a latest AMD Raid motherboard

ashishdmc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
I had Striped my six drives in Raid 0 format on my Intel X79 chipset from Gigabyte. My motherboard was burnt and I am unable to get the same motherboard now. My data on the Raid 0 is critical. I have now planned to get an AMD Ryzen 9 CPU and new motherboard with onboard Raid 0. Will I be able to read my Raid and get my data. If not is there a way to get it back by running testdisk.
Thanks

Solution
My question is whether my existing RAID be recognised on this motherboard. Will testdisk be of any use this time. Please help of anyone has had any experience of switching motherboards from Intel to AMD
Thanks

Your Intel Raid cannot be read by an AMD raid controller. The easiest solution is to put it back into the Intel & backup all the data to an external drive, move the 6 drives to the AMD, create & format the array (which wipes all existing data), and then load the data back in from the external drive.

Otherwise your looking at using something like ReclaimMe or MDADM (linux) to run the raid virtually which will allow you to export the data to another (external/backup) drive.

If testdisk was able to recover dfata from a...

USAFRet

Titan
"My data on the Raid 0 is critical. "

Why oh why is there not a full backup of this data?
A RAID 0 should never ever be run without a complete backup. Regularly updated and offline.

This was RAID 0 via the motherboard, and not a dedicated RAID card?
Will a new motherboard several generation newer simply read that 6 drive RAID 0 as if nothing had changed?
Doubtful.

You might delve into ReclaiMe, but you'll need to be very very careful.
https://www.reclaime.com/library/how-to-recover-raid.aspx

ashishdmc

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
"My data on the Raid 0 is critical. "

Why oh why is there not a full backup of this data?
A RAID 0 should never ever be run without a complete backup. Regularly updated and offline.

This was RAID 0 via the motherboard, and not a dedicated RAID card?
Will a new motherboard several generation newer simply read that 6 drive RAID 0 as if nothing had changed?
Doubtful.

You might delve into ReclaiMe, but you'll need to be very very careful.
https://www.reclaime.com/library/how-to-recover-raid.aspx
I have run this 6 drive Raid 0 configuration for last 8 years on two different systems without any issues. There were issues about drives going offline and raid not showing but that was simple to get back through testdisk. No issues there as they were all Intel motherboards.
The problem now is different. Now i have switched to an AMD CPU and matching motherboard. My question is whether my existing RAID be recognised on this motherboard. Will testdisk be of any use this time. Please help of anyone has had any experience of switching motherboards from Intel to AMD
Thanks

popatim

Titan
My question is whether my existing RAID be recognised on this motherboard. Will testdisk be of any use this time. Please help of anyone has had any experience of switching motherboards from Intel to AMD
Thanks

Your Intel Raid cannot be read by an AMD raid controller. The easiest solution is to put it back into the Intel & backup all the data to an external drive, move the 6 drives to the AMD, create & format the array (which wipes all existing data), and then load the data back in from the external drive.

Otherwise your looking at using something like ReclaimMe or MDADM (linux) to run the raid virtually which will allow you to export the data to another (external/backup) drive.

If testdisk was able to recover dfata from a failed raid0 array then you aren't runing raid0. Raid10 perhaps or raid5.

Last edited:
Solution