[SOLVED] Reading timings of ram

Oct 23, 2019
My RAM
So I have this RAM installed on my PC, but I'm confused about the advertised speed of 3000 MHz? The post is saying that it's 3000MHz but I don't seem to be getting that speed. I know it's a two-pack and that it's probably talking about per piece of ram but I'm not getting 1500 MHz per stick. I'm using CPU-Z and I'm getting a frequency of around 1060 MHz so that doesn't seem to add up.

On the SPD tab, under XMP-2998, the frequency is 1499 MHz as shown in the screenshot below so that adds up to the 3000 MHz on the product page but what about the other timings? My question is, what is XMP-2998 and why is that higher than the rest? I'm sorry, I'm new to this stuff but I just want to make sure I can get the most out of the RAM that I have and to be able to know the readings of it.

MLiugtq.png

Solution
1499mhz x2, because "Double data rate ie DDR" is 3000mhz. The default memory speed is 2133mhz, so 1060 x2 is close enough and means it is running at the default configuration. You need to go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile. XMP 2998 is close enough to the average of 3000mhz. These numbers are pretty much never exact. The timings are higher because latency and timings ALWAYS have to be higher at faster speeds than at lower ones, otherwise you have unstable memory. Sometimes you can tighten things up but you will never see a 3000mhz stick with primary timings that are the same as at the default JEDEC profile specifications. If you put the speed at 3000mhz and tried to run them at 14-14-15-35 they would be completely unstable...
1499mhz x2, because "Double data rate ie DDR" is 3000mhz. The default memory speed is 2133mhz, so 1060 x2 is close enough and means it is running at the default configuration. You need to go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile. XMP 2998 is close enough to the average of 3000mhz. These numbers are pretty much never exact. The timings are higher because latency and timings ALWAYS have to be higher at faster speeds than at lower ones, otherwise you have unstable memory. Sometimes you can tighten things up but you will never see a 3000mhz stick with primary timings that are the same as at the default JEDEC profile specifications. If you put the speed at 3000mhz and tried to run them at 14-14-15-35 they would be completely unstable UNLESS you had sticks using B-die ICs and if you did, then those specs at the default configuration would likely be lower than 14, and you would still not want to try to run them at those lower speeds while at 3000mhz.

Just set the XMP profile and unless there are problems or HWinfo does not reflect that you are actually running at the correct speed and timings, forget about it.

Solution