sebastian7

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Well, I'm finally ready to buy a new 22 incher, but I'm kind of at an impasse. I was thinking about the Samsung 2253BW, but because of recent research, I am having second thoughts. I know that the 2253 was supposed to replace the 226, but I've read that a lot of people like the 226 better. Also, I've read a lot about different panel technologies, which has further made me want to look around more.

Will $300 only be able to get me an average 22" LCD? I've seen some 22" LCDs in the 500 dollar range. What's the difference?

I'd say color and picture quality is probably my highest priority since I'm a gamer. (Response times are pretty much a given these days, since a lot of monitors are 2-5ms).

I guess it's just a case of pre-purchase worrying. I'll probably have post-purchase thoughts too, like "Did I do good? Did I get the right one?" :)

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I'm not very technical when it comes to monitors unfortunately, though I know that most 22" are TN panels and even most 24" seem to be going that way now (cheaper, lower quality). I need to get a new monitor this summer and am looking at the 2253BW. A friend of mine got lucky in the 226BW lottery, but the 2253 is ~$270 at the moment so that's what I'm going to do I think.

I'd recommend going into your local BestBuy or other computer shop and check out the ones on your short list. If possible price-wise, I'd even buy locally rather than ordering online so that if it does suck you can still easily return it rather than deal with shipping.

Someone with more knowledge on the matter can probably elaborate on the TN panel thing, or you can add that to a google search I suppose :)

Cheers

sebastian7

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
It seems there are not very many non-TN 22 inchers out there, and the ones that are are $500+.

I'm going to try to hit up Best Buy and Circuit City soon and see the monitors for myself.

Maybe I'll go for a high quality 19 inch instead of a TN panel 22.

I know the feeling, just a few months back when i was looking for a 20-22 inch monitor i e-shopped my brains out. Then with a list of prices/models/reviews i spent hours driving around looking at the local stores comparing what they had. Ended up buying a LG L227WTG that was on sale. Bought it and then had them test it right there in the store before taking it home. I've been very happy with it so far.

sebastian7

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I just got back from Circuit City and Best Buy. I'm trying to decide between non-glossy and glossy screens. The glossy screens are much sharper, but they have a lot of glare. Any opinions on this?

TRENDING THREADS