Real Life Modern Warfare 2: Gamer vs. Soldier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pink315

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]pink315[/nom]"thats the real deal a semi automatic mp5"Thats priceless.[/citation]

Lol "I have equiped the same semi automatic mp5"

Five minutes later.... in game full auto mp5

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I was thinking I got better times than that, just reinstalled and tried again after seeing this article, yup, 28 seconds, on the dot. This guy sucks! I guess the 360 part of that makes it apparent though.....

raskarpas

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I don't want to sound puffy, but from personal experience in both real life combat and video games: The first time you have to leave cover when you hear gunshots (not necessarily directed at you)takes more than 30sec :)
Just from looking at the SAS guy I can say that he's trained beyond the levels I can comprehend.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Think about the tactics though.

Run through the field firing wildly
VS
Take down opponents behind cover and move forward to engage the rest

Gamer dude may have won in training, but in a real firefight he would have been taken out VERY quickly.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
(sigh)
Call of Duty was NEVER a realistic game....for realism, you should be looking at GRAW, early Rainbow Six, ot Operation Flashpoint. CoD is a typical run and gun shooter. The sort of stuff which I pull of in COD at the hardest difficulty levels will get you killed at the easy level in GRAW or OF...

G

Well of course that guy wins. He's tried it a bunch of times, while the SAS guy probably tried it for the first time. I'm very impressed at the small difference, between them..
And i also think that in RL the gamer would de dead before he fired his first shot, or get shocked and then die, cause he finds out that weapons don't just point up, but also hurts your shoulder when fired too much!

But seriously respect to the SAS dude!

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
How many practice runs has the real life special forces guy received on that very course? I'm pretty sure the Gamer had more than one run through the course... unless he's never played the level before (doubtful). So to make things fair, either parties have to have the same number of attempts on the same course... otherwise it's not a fair contest.

BloodyIron

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
[citation][nom]DaveG[/nom]Cool video and experiment, but one needs to call into question the reputability of the comparison & journalists when they blatantly claim that that the soldier is using a MP5 when in fact it is a GSG-5 22LR replica. HUGE difference between a full auto 9mm vs a semi-auto 22LR. Yes, the GSG-5 is a much better gun to race through a stage like that, but if they lied about that major aspect of the experiment, what else did they lie about?That said, I'd like to see them repeat it with a decent USPSA 3-gun competitor in full race gear[/citation]

So I suppose when they attach a fixed butt and a silencer it doesn't look anything like a proper mp5, as illustrated here:

http://weaponsid.smallarmssurvey.org/media/products/19/Heckler_&_Koch_MP5.pdf?SASid=dpufknob

Notice the fixed butt (stock) is identical to the shot?

Yeah, there are a lot of variants of the mp5, I don't think you can say that configuration is impossible. Especially considering that a special forces unit would not use airsoft as it is not only inaccurate (due to it being drastically lower velocity) as well as having shorter fall-off. Why would such a unit use an inferior ballistic setup?

I also suppose him saying "it's going to be firing live rounds" means it's firing airsoft pellets, right?

Way to call them out.

Oh and while the video was overly dramatic (obviously to increase the target audience size) I thought it was a pretty neat video and concept. Obviously it's ridiculous, because he's doing it on xbox compared to real gamers who use KB+M (read: team fortress 2 xbox tournament compared to pc tournaments).

tl;dr: video is not for our audience (mostly), too long, kinda cool I guess.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
why didnt they switch? I would like to see the video gamer try that course out... and not stop to catch his breath. carrying all that gear.. crouching, aiming, running and shooting..... not as easy ans pushing buttons on a controller. but it was cool to see. SAS did an outstanding job navigating that course.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
well the guy playing the game version has probably played that training level countless times and knows ever location of bad guys and knows the complete course by heart. But how many times has the real SAS guy gone through that real course....?

And you really cant compare real life vs game, specially since in the game he's just running and gunning not worrying about getting shot at, and the real life SAS guy is taking a more tatical approach so that he would be safe going through.

Mottamort

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Not sure I agree with the comments about the guy having done that run on the XBox so many times, he admitted making a "foolish" mistake around 4:38. I think if he'd done the run alot he'd have perfected it...and gotten better than that bad score he got. still a real kick-ass video

go scary SAS guy :)

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Judging by the title, i was expecting the gamer to actually run the course that the SAS soldier did. The video was entertaining but the idea is really lame "Lets have a guy who can pick up a controller play 'the pit' in a video game while we have a badass SAS soldier run the REAL course! I WONDER who is going to win!?!?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS