raifdop

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I'm looking for a program to view my hard drive performance in real time. Throughput, access times, etc...

I'd like to see the stats like the Windows Vista Gadgets CPU/Memory meter as an ideal, but anything in this vein would be greatly appreciated.

If this isn't possible, and you know why, please let me know also.

Thank You!

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
It isn't very reasonable or useful so I doubt one exists, performance will vary based on use and having some random number for any particular use can't be applied to anything in particular. When you need to know it needs to be a fixed test so a valid comparision can be made (to anything, another drive or memory or whatever) which isolates the variables. Otherwise knowing any momentary detail would just be trivia.

raifdop

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
You are correct -- I want it for trivia mostly. In particular at this moment, though I've been interested in this idea for a while, I'd like to see how my new Raptor X 1500 Striped Raid Array performs in respect to throughput as compared to my 750GB SATA300 single drives. I do a lot of video, and pars / rars in particular take up a lot of time. I'd like to see how all of my system resources are being affected during intesive applications.

It seems to me that seeing realtime throughput on my hardrive, I could get an idea for the 'max', and how it's affecting my overall system performance.

So what is your favorite 'fixed test' application for throughput? I'm running Windows Vista 64 with an Athlon 64 X2 processor.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
It will need to be a repeatable test for valid results, a benchmark is sufficient to do this. I wouldn't expect someone to write a util for trivia's sake when existing benchmarks are even more valid for the purpose.

There is no favorite, there is your estimation of what your access is like, frequency and size, random and concurrent IO, then take that info and choose existing app that comes closest.