Real world difference between original vertex and latest SSD's

stone2

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hi, I have a 128gb vertex and am wondering if I should upgrade to a newer drive.
Will I see much of a real world speed increase?

Although I can't say from experience or benchmarks, my personal feeling is that any performance increase you notice will be imagined. If you're noticing delayed boot times or other symptoms that things may be amiss, you would probably want to replace it but otherwise I wouldn't think the value is there.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah the real difference you will see in hard drives will be in going from hdd to ssd. Going from ssd to ssd will be no noticable difference, and you should only upgrade your ssd drive if it is failing or you need a bigger one.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
real world in what.

For a home user who usually just plays games, and using it as an OS and Apps drive. no noticeable difference. people cry out on the video comparisons of SSD vs HDD saying they are not fair or apples v apples;
so they then redo the videos with the fastest 10k hdds versus 1st gen SSD and you pretty much see the same results in the real-life home user tasks.

If you were using it as a piece in their of a complex data serving solution, then maybe yes you'd notice difference and have to tune specifically for each drive.