Reality Check for m.2 + PCIe Expansion Card & Boot Compatability

abarham

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I have an Intel DP67BG that I'd like to add a m.2 drive to (and ideally, boot from). From what I've read I believe that it will be basically no issue for me to add in one m.2 drive since I have PCI express 3.0 ( http://ark.intel.com/products/50244/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP67BG ) that supports 2 x16 lanes.

I currently have a GTX 980ti in one of the slots and don't plan to add another. So I think that I can add the Addonics m2 PCIe card without an issue. What I am completely unsure of is whether or not I'll be able to boot from the PCIe. I'm not even sure where to go look for this (is it obvious in the BIOS?).

So, I have two questions:

1) Will I be able to boot from a PCIe m.2 add-in card + drive?
2) If I wanted to add 2 m.2 drives, would I be able to do that (one to boot, and one for data)?

update: Not sure anymore if I can use an m.2 drive. The above link says that my board has 2 PCIe 3.0 x16 for graphics, but the expansion options are all gen 2.x. The PDF manual for my board talks only about PCIe 2.0 expansions. So, now I'm questioning whether or not I can even use a m.2 drive with the PCIe expansion card.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Solution
Yes ya can have a admin card for a m.2 as notable drive . Would work exactly like a normal PCI express harder I've then . Only prob might run into is if your mother board doont support nvme witch most mb manufactures been releasing nvme support via bios updates
Nvme is a new standard for ssds .it's and new controller technology the developed so if ya plan to get a newer nvme drive such as the Samsung 950 or the 951 to 961 OEM drives make sure ya flash your bios and check if they added nvme support all ya got to worry bought but if ya do get a nvme one before I forget .
Nvme ssds only support full uefi boot and insulation so no legacy booting make sure vid cards and discs drive ect support uefi as well . So your stuck with got partitions...

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Yes ya can have a admin card for a m.2 as notable drive . Would work exactly like a normal PCI express harder I've then . Only prob might run into is if your mother board doont support nvme witch most mb manufactures been releasing nvme support via bios updates
Nvme is a new standard for ssds .it's and new controller technology the developed so if ya plan to get a newer nvme drive such as the Samsung 950 or the 951 to 961 OEM drives make sure ya flash your bios and check if they added nvme support all ya got to worry bought but if ya do get a nvme one before I forget .
Nvme ssds only support full uefi boot and insulation so no legacy booting make sure vid cards and discs drive ect support uefi as well . So your stuck with got partitions witch if fine comp starts way faster with uefi and fast or ultra fast boot and secure boot enabled .

Solution