Reallocated Sector Count below threshold

Dariusz Mastah

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hello,
I got a message for a windows that one of my HDD is failing. I moved all the data and used HDD regenerator over night and regenerated 41 bad sectors.
Before
30ngoq0.jpg

After
2hgxwnk.jpg

Currnet Padding Sector was fixed but Reallocated Sector Count of course wasnt. I keep getting errors from windows about that hhd but its because of s.m.a.r.t. right?

I fixed hdd like this before (just didnt had the fail notice) and for over a year it works. Can I block this message and continue with this hdd?

Solution
Hey there, @Dariusz Mastah!

Indeed, you will need to backup all the data from that hard drive somewhere else and replace it ASAP! Even if you don't have any important files on it, after it completely fails, it will influence your system's performance and booting process as well. What you 'fixed' was the pending sectors. This parameter indicates the count of unstable sectors waiting to be reallocated (a.k.a. mapped as bad sectors). Keep in mind that data could still be stored on those and will get corrupted, once it reallocates.

Unfortunately, there's no way you can fix bad sectors, so the number will only increase the more that you use that hard drive. Any HDD activity (read/write) can put additional stress on it and cause it to fail...

Dariusz Mastah

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

Cool but I need an explanation.
I regenerated bad sectors and this Fail position in s.m.a.r.t. is a "count" so not a current state.
I was told to stop using the other hdd (2TB) on the photo and after I regenerated it is working fine over a year ago.

So from where I stand it seems that unless the hdd has some max reallocated sector count after which it fails (and it didn't after passing the threshold - just got those windows messages) - why should I stop using it?

Hey there, @Dariusz Mastah!

Indeed, you will need to backup all the data from that hard drive somewhere else and replace it ASAP! Even if you don't have any important files on it, after it completely fails, it will influence your system's performance and booting process as well. What you 'fixed' was the pending sectors. This parameter indicates the count of unstable sectors waiting to be reallocated (a.k.a. mapped as bad sectors). Keep in mind that data could still be stored on those and will get corrupted, once it reallocates.

Unfortunately, there's no way you can fix bad sectors, so the number will only increase the more that you use that hard drive. Any HDD activity (read/write) can put additional stress on it and cause it to fail even sooner.

I'd strongly recommend you check the warranty on the HDD and get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support. If it's still covered, you should be able to RMA it and get a replacement from them. Otherwise, the sooner you replace it, the better.

Best of luck! Let me know if you have any more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution