Reallocated Sector Count - Issue , Help

goonersince2009

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hi guys , Im new here and i wanted to ask u guys for some help .
my 1tb Seagate drive recently had a bad sector issue. week ago I used HDTunePro to see how bad it is , it showed about 200 "Reallocated sector count" I didnt care too much untill the windows got freeze screen when I wanted to lunch mozilla firefox . I knew that somthing is going wrong . I backed up all of my files on Externall HDD and tried to use some software like HDD Regenerator to Fix the problem but it didnt work , tried to format the drive with "Low Level Format Tool" but the result was the same , after spending two days the number of Reallocate sector increased to 2000 , I took it to one of HDD expert in our town and he said if there's a problem Im going to fix it . today after three days he called and said drive is just fine .
unfortunately the amount of bad sector increased to 20,000 , but drive still works ok , I put win 8.1 on it without any errors and thing. still seeking for some help . can I rely on this HDD ? or it must get replaced ?
thx in advance and sry for bad english .

Solution

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I hope you didn't pay this "HDD expert" because there's no way to "fix" a drive when it starts to develop bad sectors.
Programs like HDD Regenerator and Spinrite are maintenance programs that force the drive to reallocate bad areas so an increase in bad sector reallocation count is normal, but such a big jump means your drive is going to run out of spare sectors and fail vey soon.

It's actually highly likely that the heads are failing and "bad sectors" are read errors and you should just trash the drive now.

Solution