[SOLVED] Reallocated Sectors Count on HDD

amir.bisk

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Hi,
I have a HDD from Seagate (ST1000DM003)
I've had this hdd for 6 years ; it's power on time is 6730 hours.
I was using HDD Sentinel for monitoring this HDD like always but suddenly every thing on windows freezed and the HDD Sentinel showed 12% health
with 8 Reallocated Sectors Count and 240 bad sectors.
I started some repairing test on it and health increased to 92% with 0 bad sectors but still 8 Reallocated Sectors Count.
After 2 days of working properly , again that thing happened but this time I got 16 Reallocated Sectors Count and after those tests health went on 84%.
It seems to be the last days of this HDD's life and;therefore ,I decided to buy Seagate Barracuda st1000dm010.
My friend has bought that model recently. He has gotten 8 Reallocated Sectors Count in spite of having 9 hours power on time!
here's the test result of a really new Seagate Barracuda : View: https://imgur.com/haKZd7Q

and that makes me hesitant to buy from seagate .

so do you recommend using the current HDD until the last day , buying barracuda with bad sectors risk , or buying only one SSD and install windows and the other things on it?

Solution
So you mean my new ST3000DM010 is going to be dead soon? in spite of 9 days power on time?
Not really, but it's definitely at risk because this line of HDDs generally had high fail counts. Same recommendation: unimportant/replaceable data like the Steam library.
my ST1000DM003 finally died( stucked 0.5hour on windows 10 logo) and having 1200bad sectors!
You could still try to boot with it as a secondary drive and run full SMART tests/drive reformats and see if it gets much worse, and if it doesn't it could still serve as a game library drive.

VADemon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Have you looked at the photo you uploaded? It's tiny!

Seems like your drive is rapidly failing. Try to avoid running it until you can afford a new place to transfer your data to. After you have copied over your data, the only thing that drive will be good for is your Steam library - nothing will be lost if it dies.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

amir.bisk

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Your ST1000DM003 is from the same family as the infamous ST3000DM001 which had a 30% failure (?) at BackBlaze. It's time to replace it.
I've replaced ST1000DM003....
So you mean my new ST3000DM010 is going to be dead soon? in spite of 9 days power on time?

Last edited:

amir.bisk

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Have you looked at the photo you uploaded? It's tiny!

Seems like your drive is rapidly failing. Try to avoid running it until you can afford a new place to transfer your data to. After you have copied over your data, the only thing that drive will be good for is your Steam library - nothing will be lost if it dies.
my ST1000DM003 finally died( stucked 0.5hour on windows 10 logo) and having 1200bad sectors! I am going to buy WD Blue wd10ezex.
sorry for that picture imgur is not accessible in my country btw.
here's the screenshot of my new st1000dm010 with 9 days power on time: https://pasteboard.co/Ix45VWL.jpg

Last edited:

VADemon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Not really, but it's definitely at risk because this line of HDDs generally had high fail counts. Same recommendation: unimportant/replaceable data like the Steam library.
my ST1000DM003 finally died( stucked 0.5hour on windows 10 logo) and having 1200bad sectors!
You could still try to boot with it as a secondary drive and run full SMART tests/drive reformats and see if it gets much worse, and if it doesn't it could still serve as a game library drive.

Solution

amir.bisk

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018

ST1000DM003 cannot handle SMART tests as a secondary drive ( It has 180mb/s at first but stuck at 1 mb/s and no progress.)
so do you suggest me buying WD Blue instead of that Barracuda family?

VADemon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
ST1000DM003 cannot handle SMART tests as a secondary drive ( It has 180mb/s at first but stuck at 1 mb/s and no progress.)
so do you suggest me buying WD Blue instead of that Barracuda family?
Okay then. Make a souvenir out of the hard drive platters ;)
It's a hard topic of recommendation, can't stay objective. I'm a home user and only ever had WD drives (one ancient Samsung that's still alive and 2 external Toshiba's that basically are built on WD technology). Would I personally buy WD? Yes. Would I avoid Seagate (Barracuda) like fire? No. They've had a couple bad series in the past years but I heard it should become better now. According to Backblaze Seagate drives are back to average again (excluding the old series 3TB and 4TB drives still in use).
You're better of spending a little extra to buy a second drive for regular backups. Reliability question solved.