[SOLVED] Really bad flickering after driver update

Dustin_77

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Recently I updated my MSI RX480 to 19.9.2 and it is causing MAJOR screen flickering on the monitors that is not capturable on any software. it happens mainly after launching a game. I've tried: Swapping cables, swapping PCI slots, swapping input and output ports on both the card and monitors, fresh install of both recommended and optional drivers, trying to roll back to previous drivers, and contacting AMD support. So far nothing is working and I'm contemplating just buying a new card any advice?

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC (MS-7A34) (AM4)
Graphics
Acer KG241Q (1920x1080@60Hz)
Acer KG241Q (1920x1080@60Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (MSI)
PSU
EVGA 750w Gold Fully modular

Solution
Uninstall the amd drivers.Then go to file explorer and do a search in whatever drive you use for any and all amd drivers, files and folders left over and delete them. Go to device manager and click on display adapter. Uninstall the rx 480.
Then download the drivers you were using prior to 19.9.2. don't install them yet. Download and install amd chipset 19.10.28. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK-ARCTIC#down-driver&Win10 64 Then restart computer. Drivers may be installed by windows when it detects your gpu. Leave them for now. Now check your screens. Let me know where you are at.
Uninstall the amd drivers.Then go to file explorer and do a search in whatever drive you use for any and all amd drivers, files and folders left over and delete them. Go to device manager and click on display adapter. Uninstall the rx 480.
Then download the drivers you were using prior to 19.9.2. don't install them yet. Download and install amd chipset 19.10.28. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK-ARCTIC#down-driver&Win10 64 Then restart computer. Drivers may be installed by windows when it detects your gpu. Leave them for now. Now check your screens. Let me know where you are at.

Reactions: Dustin_77
Solution

Dustin_77

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Thank you very much it's no longer flickering. A roll back to 19.8.3 following your steps fixed it. I've tested several games and no more flickering. It seems that the newest drivers were the problem.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch