Question Really bad OC attempt leads to Windows Failure! Please Help!

Stobbzy2019

Commendable
Aug 3, 2019
So theres a little story behind tis but I will try to keep it simple:

Few days ago I picked up a brand new i9 9900k sealed and everything. Working brilliant for a few days and just yesterday I wanted to OC it to see what I could do.
Kept on BSOD when I adjusted voltage and other settings so I decided to reset everything back to default on the bios, so basically everything I had before it went to ****.

After clicking reset and booting I got this WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR bsod. The next thing I thought would possibly help would be to flash my bios to see if that helped so now my mobo is updated to the latest drives etc.
Booted up and STILL the error. So the next thing I did was test a hdd that had my old windows 7 on it. Still bsod so then I knew it was hardware related. I then reseeded my ram and cpu to double check if it works. I am now trying to boot into windows using my USB and I have a disk of windows 10 but when I try to install either one of them it just stops on either the windows logo and no loading screen to install windows or it gets stuck on the MSI boot up logo.

If anyone can help please let me know. And if anyone was thinking about windows safe mode or repair mode the computer bsod's when loading this aswell.

My specs are listed below:

i9 9900k
Gigabyte 1070 8GB
16GB HyperX Fury 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
MSI A-PRO Z390 Mobo

UPDATE

I tried using my hard drive that the bsod first happened on, I can boot from it but the windows logo is stuck, no loading wheel, just the logo.

Last edited:

Stobbzy2019

Commendable
Aug 3, 2019
I'm no expert at this, but I think you may have killed your CPU.

If you can tell me the OC setting you used I may be able to help you more.
I reset my cmos and It came up with a screen saying F1 to run setup and F2 to continue, I pressed F2 but my cpu specs was all reset to default and it showed it recognised the cpu but my gpu is apparently failing now.

I followed this guide on OC:
https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

Stobbzy2019

Commendable
Aug 3, 2019
stick with 1 thread
So recently I got a i9 9900k ad I overclocked it using a guide I searched up from MSI which led to me OC'ing the CPU. Then after a few tests etc I decided to reset my settings back to default (Everything back to Auto basically).
Booted up and got an instant WHEA error.
Tried reseating gpu, cpu, ram. I even tried unplugging unnecessary components like some extra hard drives that were connected and headphones etc.
After trying this I then tried to see what would happen if I put the core voltage on the highest it could possible go which was 1.355. It allowed me to install Windows, so I did a fresh install. Everything worked until I started installing the Nvidia display settings / drivers to make my monitor 144hz. After the bsod I reset my bios settings back to normal. Installed Windows again but half way through another bsod occured.

Also to note that now when I boot up my pc the display dosen't get recognised on my monitor and my bios is the latest version and up to date (7B98v16 ).
And again I need to note that whenever I made a change to the bios voltage sometimes It would bsod with the Machine Check (or whatever its called) bsod.

Please help!

Specs:
i9 9900k
MSI Z390 A PRO
Gigabyte 1070 8GB G1
16GB HyperX DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB)

Stobbzy2019

Commendable
Aug 3, 2019
spamming
So recently I got a i9 9900k ad I overclocked it using a guide I searched up from MSI which led to me OC'ing the CPU. Then after a few tests etc I decided to reset my settings back to default (Everything back to Auto basically).
Booted up and got an instant WHEA error.
Tried reseating gpu, cpu, ram. I even tried unplugging unnecessary components like some extra hard drives that were connected and headphones etc.
After trying this I then tried to see what would happen if I put the core voltage on the highest it could possible go which was 1.355. It allowed me to install Windows, so I did a fresh install. Everything worked until I started installing the Nvidia display settings / drivers to make my monitor 144hz. After the bsod I reset my bios settings back to normal. Installed Windows again but half way through another bsod occured.

Also to note that now when I boot up my pc the display dosen't get recognised on my monitor and my bios is the latest version and up to date (7B98v16 ).
And again I need to note that whenever I made a change to the bios voltage sometimes It would bsod with the Machine Check (or whatever its called) bsod.

Please help!

Specs:
i9 9900k
MSI Z390 A PRO
Gigabyte 1070 8GB G1
16GB HyperX DDR4 RAM (2x 8GB)

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I reset my cmos and It came up with a screen saying F1 to run setup and F2 to continue, I pressed F2 but my cpu specs was all reset to default and it showed it recognised the cpu but my gpu is apparently failing now.
Choose f1 NOT F2 so that the BIOS gets reset to Optimized default settings.
Also you should Clear CMOS, look in your motherboard manual add follow whatever steps they list to do that EXACTLY.

And since you seem to have NO idea what you are doing when it comes to OCing, I recommend that you spend a LOT of time reading Beginners OC guides Before you attempt to OC your CPU again.

FYI
OCing is not something that should be done quickly.
It took me a full week of changing settings and then testing them to get to my current CPU and RAM OCs and get them stable.
Also during that week I had to reset my BIOS numerous times before I finally got it stable.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS